Mac shortcuts / sleeping computer

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bcimmet
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by bcimmet » Thu May 25, 2023 1:46 pm

Hello all, I have encountered an odd problem which I'm struggling to troubleshoot. Finale 26.3, MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey 12.6.5.

If I leave Finale open (with or without a file also open) and close my laptop ... when I open it again, the shortcut keys for articulations and expressions stop working.

Normal behavior: I hold down 'S' and click a note, I get a staccato dot. This new behavior: I hold down 'S' and click a note, and the window of articulations opens for me to select from the grid of options. (The 'S' is still properly assigned, and I can see it in the grid of articulations as the assigned shortcut key.)

If I hold SHIFT and any key and click a note -- which is the basic behavior for choosing a new shortcut key -- I can assign that key to an articulation (i.e., normal behavior). However, the newly assigned shortcut key also does not work. So it doesn't matter whether it's a previously assigned shortcut or a newly assigned shortcut -- after sleep, neither works.

(This behavior is the same for expressions.)

The computer keyboard works fine in other apps -- and in fact, works fine in other aspects of Finale (entering lyrics or text boxes, e.g.).

Other elements of Finale work fine -- simple entry, speedy entry, changing instruments, creating PDFs or printing, etc. And manually adding articulations and expressions as if shortcuts didn't exist also works fine, just painfully slow.

This problem happens with all files, not one file in particular. I can recreate this problem on my laptop, and have not tried on any other computers.

I can "fix" this issue by restarting the computer ... but it all happens again if I sleep the computer with Finale still open. (And obviously, I can make the effort to quit Finale before sleeping the computer ... but this is all a new issue as of two days ago, and in decades of past Finale experience, I have never seen it before.)

--

I've found a few old and loose threads that describe this, but have found no solutions.

If anyone reading this has experienced this and has suggestions or solutions, please let me know. Thank you so much!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm

From what you describe it sounds like Finale thinks the Shift key is down when it isn't. Have you tried pressing and letting go of each Shift key a couple of times?
I can "fix" this issue by restarting the computer
Does just restarting Finale work?

bcimmet
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by bcimmet » Thu May 25, 2023 3:39 pm

motet wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm
From what you describe it sounds like Finale thinks the Shift key is down when it isn't. Have you tried pressing and letting go of each Shift key a couple of times?
Yes, it does sound like that -- and yet, no, hitting shift (or caps lock) does not solve it.
motet wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm
Does just restarting Finale work?
Sadly, no. The issue sustains through rebooting the app -- only rebooting the entire computer seems to fix it.