Can't find fall-off symbol

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Thu May 25, 2023 9:34 pm

Using a Mac.

The online Finale Reference Manual says that if I'm using Broadway Copyist font (for notation) I should be able to find fall-off symbols in the Articulation Selection dialog box. I do just happen to be using Broadway Copyist font and I don't see the fall-off symbols. I'm expecting to see something like looks like a glissando, or like a trill that is slanted from high left to lower right. What am I missing?

Thanks much.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri May 26, 2023 9:16 am

The Broadway Copyist articulation library has several fall symbols. The first shown below is a quick fall, followed by a longer fall, followed by a fallish kind of stroke. Perhaps just load the library into the file you're working on.
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 4.10.38 AM.jpg
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri May 26, 2023 9:25 am

1) Articulations are document specific, not program specific.
From what template did you create your document ?

2) Looking in both the Articulation Selection and in the Symbol Selection (viewing the Broadway Copyist font) I can see the falls:
Attachments
SymbolSelection.jpg
ArticulationSelection.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259

Post by lynndavidnewton » Fri May 26, 2023 8:05 pm

Everyone's replies tok me to the information I needed. This took me to an area I have not explored much.

I looked again and sure enough, no fall-off articulations were visible in the articulation selection box.
That's when I hit the Create button. I don't think I've created an articulation mark before.
So the interface there was new to me but familiar enough that I could explore it comfortably.
When I clicked the Set Font button, I was surprised to learn that the font it was showing
me was I think the default font. However, I'm definitely using Broadway Copyist on the
notes, clefs, i.e. pretty much everything else, so I don't know what that's about.

So I selected Broadway Copyist on this interface and then when I press the Main or Flipped buttons,
up popped a selection box with lots of choices. I picked one and it installed it as a new articulation.

(I have a project coming up in which this will be very useful!)

I always get useful replies from this forum. I'm very thankful to everyone who took the trouble to respond.