Artificial Intelligence to convert flat pdf's to MusicXML

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

magnefl
Finale Version: 27.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by magnefl » Tue May 30, 2023 11:29 am

Hi!

The progress in AI has exploded the last year, first with Dall-E, Midjourney, Stable Diffusion etc. to ChatGPT. This makes me wonder if any of you have knowledge to what/if there is anything released (or in beta; closed or open) regarding AI and recognition of sheet music? I have been using PDFtoMusic Pro and ScanScore for years, but the results varies tremendously from input. (...I don't have hopes for recognition of handwritten scores in any forseeingly future, though.)

Kind regards,

Magne

Zoots
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zoots » Tue May 30, 2023 1:34 pm

No knowledge of what's happening, artificial or otherwise. I use SmartScore and it does a good job but it is dependent on the quality of the original input. I think this is where AI could be of benefit, take a handwritten score or a marginal printed score and produce a high quality original that could then be processed.
AI is likely to impact on the entire read and convert process but just how quickly is the unknown since it is a small niche market compared to more general uses.
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue May 30, 2023 2:42 pm

There's this recent podcast on Scoring Notes about using Machine Learning in OMR (optical Music Recognition.)
https://www.scoringnotes.com/podcast/fr ... -to-slice/

There are a fair few academic papers on the subject; and there are several OMR github projects, in various states, some of which use Machine Learning. Lots of apps claim to use AI for turning audio into notation.

And once that's done, it won't be long before you can feed an AI the corpus of mid-century European plate engraving, and then say "here's some notation -- engrave it like that." And get it done in 5 seconds.

When we're on the brink of technology of that sort, some of Finale's processes seems like Tudor re-enactment! :lol:

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Tue May 30, 2023 3:47 pm

But what about the part where AI seeks out and kills any Composers still out there
and writes its own Music, intended for other AI Units, Prints ( hmmm, maybe not needed...) and Records,
no need for people.
Maybe just to keep the Electricity on and functioning.
I was always hoping for the Version of Finale where I put a few electrodes in place before going to bed,
and VIOLA!
Stacks of printed Scores and Parts, ready to go in the morning.
I'd rather use Regular Intelligence to write some Artificial Music.
Whatever That means!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue May 30, 2023 4:18 pm

The current AI stuff in the news has to do with mining huge quantities of text posted on the internet for information and language patterns. I'm not sure how useful that is to music recognition. I do think that software can eventually replace music engravers. There's been progress there (e.g. Finale to Dorico) but as we see it's got a long way to go, so no need to worry yet. I also think software can eventually replace what I do, which is arranging. As far as composing, I'm not so sure.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Wed May 31, 2023 1:27 pm

The last few years have shown that we humans have a very tenuous grip on fact vs. fantasy and won't be able to deal with a reality created by AI. AI could be a disaster for those who find meaning in making things, but those who spend their lives taking won't be troubled.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."