Rebeaming on a guitar part

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ffion1
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Ffion1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:00 pm

Hi Everyone, I am new to this Forum and fairly new to Finale (windows version 27)
I am trying to write a guitar part which includes a lot of "grace" notes for bends (I am not a guitar player and have not been able to find the correct terminology for these notes - sorry about that). I added these notes using the grace note tool. When I add in these "grace" notes, I can't beam the 1/8th notes. I have tried rebeaming but it doesn't work. I am obviously doing something wrong. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I have attached an image of the offending bar.
Many thanks - Ffion
Attachments
2023-06-04 guitar.png

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:13 pm

You need to rebeam manually. Put the cursor on the rightmost note and press / (slash). Repeat as necessary.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Ffion1

Post by Ffion1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:26 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:13 pm
You need to rebeam manually. Put the cursor on the rightmost note and press / (slash). Repeat as necessary.
Hello N Grossingink, thankyou for your reply.

I tried doing the rebeaming based on last note with slash etc and it doesn't work. That was the first thing I tried....LOL. I think the "grace" notes are getting in the way of the 1/8th notes being treated as continuous.

I am going to try and make the grace notes a lower denomination and see if that helps

Many thanks
Ffion

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:34 pm

This works for me:

First, enter all the 8th notes.
The 8th notes are beamed.

Next, use the Simple Entry Tool to add the grace notes via clicking in the staff.
The 8th notes will remain beamed when you click-enter the grace notes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Ffion1

Post by Ffion1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:37 pm

Hello All,

I managed to solve the situation by first deleting all the "grace" notes. Then I rebeamed all the 1/8th notes. Then I inserted the "grace" notes one value smaller that the 1/8th notes. Then I used the custom stem tool to remove the stems. Then I used the articulation tool to add in the brackets.

Cheers
Ffion

Ffion1

Post by Ffion1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:47 pm

Hi Peter,

Yes, I found that it worked fine if I wrote all the 1/8th notes first and then added in the grace notes as 1/16th notes and then removed stems etc. The first time I wrote it in note order and I think I wrote the "grace" notes at 1/4 notes since for me they weren't actually grace notes. I think that combination screwed it all up.

Cheers
Ffion

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:43 pm

Ffion1 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:47 pm
… Yes, I found that it worked fine if I wrote all the 1/8th notes first and then added in the grace notes as 1/16th notes and then removed stems etc. The first time I wrote it in note order and I think I wrote the "grace" notes at 1/4 notes since for me they weren't actually grace notes. I think that combination screwed it all up …
Indeed grace notes as ¼ notes will break the beaming.
On The Other Hand, grace notes as ⅛ notes will not break the beaming.

In this particular case there is no need for ¼ grace notes.

Just enter ⅛ grace notes.
Then, use the Special Tools Tool sub-tool {Custom Stem Tool} to replace the stem with an empty shape.
The ⅛ flag, too, will disappear.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Ffion1

Post by Ffion1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:00 pm

:D

Many thanks
Cheers
Ffion

murphybridget
Operating System: Windows

Post by murphybridget » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Ffion!

Great to see you diving into Finale. For guitar grace notes, you're on the right track. To address beaming issues, try this: after adding grace notes, go to the main "Speedy Entry" tool, click on the 1/8th note, then use the "Rebeam" option. You might need to click it a few times for the desired beaming. If that doesn't work, check if you've accidentally entered a "cross-beam" situation.

Don't hesitate to explore Finale's user manual or online resources for more specifics. Keep experimenting, and you'll get the hang of it. Happy composing!