Da capo al fine does not play as intended

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

marcus_s
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by marcus_s » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:18 pm

Hi
I am using finale since the early days of finale, most of the time finding solutions. But I am struggling now with playback of repetitions and did not found a solution after a lot of trying.
I am struggling with a repetition problem. I have a Menuet of this form (A means normal repeat, A1 and A2 means 1rst and 2nd ending of part A):
A1A2|B1B2|C|D1D2|AB1
Fine is on first beat of B1 (first ending).
It plays as intended until AB1, but then it does not jump as given by Fine, but plays C again. And: Fine should be on the first beat of ending B1.

What I am doing wrong here? I added a shortened version of this file (it's the menuet in a piece with 4 sets).

Thanks for your help!
Marcus
Attachments
repetitionproblem.musx
(226.41 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:05 am

I have never seen a "fine" inside a first (or second) repeat. The alignment may not be read as intended by the program; the word "fine" is longer (in print) than a quarter note. Perhaps the first repeat command is interpreted wrongly as the fine command may not be seen. (I don't know if this makes sense.) Perhaps the program only acts only on ends of measure?

I'm not sure I would sightread it correctly though.

marcus_s

Post by marcus_s » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:03 am

Fine within an ending is quite common in romantic music – I edit quite a lot of this. Until now, I did not have problems, as I produced mainly editions for print. But for this project, I will use the audio file.

I tried another solutions also, introducing an additional measure after B2. But Finale plays this additional measure after B2, even if I give in B2 another target measure. Finale does simply ignore the given target measure in the ending.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:52 am

marcus_s,

1) Welcome to the forum!

2) The culprit is in the Text Repeat Assignment for the text repeat Fine.
It is set to {Play Section 1 Times}.
But instead you obviously need it to Stop:

Repeat Tool.
Handles appear on the repeats - including the text repeat Fine.
Context-click the handle on the Fine.
In the context menu, choose
Edit Repeat Assignment…
You get to the dialog box Text Repeat Assignment.
Try the setting shown in my screen shot - it works for me.

(Click on the attached screen shot, to view at high resolution)
Attachments
TextRepeatAssignment.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

marcus_s

Post by marcus_s » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:36 am

Hi Peter

Thanks for your help. This works for this set, with the only drawback, that it does not allow to continue directly with the next set. But no problem for this project, as I have to export the sets by set and not for the full piece. (I produce some MMO sets with Finale and Noteperformer).

Oh, the problem to stop the Fine after the first beat: Solved by splitting the measure (invisible barline) and setting the Fine mark on this first part of the measure.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:12 am

marcus_s wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:36 am
… This works for this set, with the only drawback, that it does not allow to continue directly with the next set …
Then, try this:
Attachments
TextRepeatAssignment.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

marcus_s

Post by marcus_s » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:32 am

This worked. The pivot move was to split the measure, splitting up the Fine command from the repeat in the same measure.
Thanks!