Modify the user interface fonts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Iatros
Finale Version: Finale Ver 27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by Iatros » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:34 pm

I've used Finale for many years (currently using ver. 27.3) almost exclusively for transcribing choral works. On the whole I've been a very satisfied customer, but I'd like make changes to the user interface. Especially I'd like to change the Times New Roman (TNR) fonts to something that my aging eyes finds more readable. For a while I've been using Calibri 11 point, which I like. It's clean and sharp and easy to read in the low light of performance venues.

Each time a start to transcribe a score I have to laboriously change all the fonts imposed by the Setup Wizard (all TNR) to Calibri, and then change the defaults in the Documents/Fonts/Text Block tabs, which is rather tedious.It would be nice if the Setup Wizard presented a template where these were already changed.

Similarly I have to re-size staff spacing each time; as well adjust the positioning of dynamics &c.

Finally I'd like to say a word of thanks to the moderators of this forum. You're very patient and it's appreciated.

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by bakkumd » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:47 am

Iatros,

Here are links to the Finale User Manual regarding templates and reusing document settings:

Templates: http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... =templates
Reusing document settings: http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... tices2.htm

Some global font changes can be made via the Plug-ins > Miscellaneous > Change Fonts... menu plug-in as well. http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... ge%20Fonts

The most global font changing option might be the Font Utilities... menu item: Document > Data Check > Font Utilities. http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... ilities...

Update: these are from the Finale Mac user manual... I'm going to assume most of the info is the same.
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

Iatros
Finale Version: Finale Ver 27.0

Post by Iatros » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:39 am

Thanks for taking the time to post all this info. I'll check it out.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:05 pm

In order to change the fonts and other settings for every new file, you need to make those changes to the "Maestro Default File" that Finale installs when you download the software. Here is the procedure taken from the manual:

However, you can customize this [default]document to suit your own tastes. Do you prefer a different font for your lyrics? Do you frequently work with A4 paper? In any of these cases, the process for customizing the Maestro Font Default file is simple. Choose File > Open; in the Open dialog box that appears, navigate to the Finale/Music Files/Default Files folder, choose Finale Template File from the File Type drop-down list and double-click Maestro Font Default.FTMX file to open it. You’re now looking at a blank document. Make any changes to it you want. Change the lyric font, page size, add expressions, etc.. When you’re finished, choose File > Save, choose Finale Template File from the File Type drop-down list, name the file Maestro Font Default.FTMX and then save it (and replace the existing Maestro Font Default file). From now on, every time you double-click the Finale program icon, choose File > New > Default Document or Document with Setup Wizard, a fresh, untitled copy of this Maestro Font Default file appears on the screen, formatted according to your preferences.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Iatros wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:34 pm
… I have to laboriously change all the fonts imposed by the Setup Wizard …
Iatros,

1) It sounds like you always create new Finale documents via
File menu > New > Document With Setup Wizard…

In the Setup Wizard the shown templates are located in the folder Document Styles.
Go to the folder Document Styles, find the template you use, and edit the template as needed.

Have you ever tried the other options for a New Document?

2) File menu > New > Default Document

The so called Default Document is located in the folder Default Files.
Actually, in the folder Default Files there are several Finale templates.
You can edit the templates - and you can add more templates to the folder Default Files.
You can specify, which one should be the Default Document.
This is done in Preferences - New.
If you do not specify a Default Document, then Finale will use “Maestro Font Default” as Default Document.

3) File menu > New > Document From Template…

The templates is located in the folder Default Files.
I suggest that you take a look in the folder Templates.
You can edit the templates, and you can add more templates to the Templates folder (or to its sub-folders).

By The Way:
In the thread title your words “user interface fonts” are a bit misleading - should be “default fonts”.
{User Interface Fonts} are the fonts displaying in Finale’s menus and dialog boxes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:39 pm

Iatros,
I find the Finale templates to be wanting so I never use them but like you I have several things I like that is different. Set up you document or take one you already made and make a default "musx." file. Not a template file but a normal Finale 27.3 file.
I call mine EB Concert 2023.musx. It has everything exactly the way I want it and keeps it that way. It is my master default file. Everything is there as I want it, from measure numbers, to copyright, to fonts, spacing, etc, everything. Even the linked parts have a nice head start as they are the way I want them too. IMHO, Finale templates are next to useless.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure template files and .musx files are one and the same format, except "New Document from Template" leads you through adding a title, key signature and time signature instead if your having the set those individually. You can specify a .musx file instead of a .ftmx file when you do "New Document from Template."