Are these known bugs?, am I doing something wrong?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

fcopaja
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by fcopaja » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi, I've been working with a big orchestral piece, and I keep saving it a lot and autosave is set to 5 minutes, just in case.
I've noticed the following issues (Finale 27, last update, macOS Monterey):

- Most of the time, when opening the file, smart shapes are gone mad, slurs and 8a lines finishing somewhere out of page limits, sometimes several pages ahead. Command-U is a must. You can see what I mean here: https://we.tl/t-dofZemHOSU.
- In page view, when placing some smart shapes and expression into the score, Finale puts them again in an unspecified location. I must turn to scroll view and repeat.
- Sometimes, in page view, one no longer can click the arrows to move through pages, and again, switching to scroll view and back to page view resolves it.
- In parts from this score, after processing them I just saved them separately, but guess, when opening them sometimes a few measures come out blank, or added graphics are misplaced. What's worse, if I export to PDF all these errors get exported too, shutting down Finale and reopening being the only solution.
- I'm not sure if is a bad setting or what, but some manual tweaks (spacing mostly) get reversed if by any chance I have to modify an item somewhere else, specially if it involves an entry (note, rest) in speedy mode. This in particular drives me nuts, for there are many manual edits.
- Ritardandos that end in a fermata are very random in playback, sometimes they work, but sometimes a note keeps sounding for ever, or even the note before the fermata gets stuck. This doesn't bother me that much since I only used playback for reference and checking, but it is still weird.
- This file had a lot of expressions that I created in a previous piece, which I duplicated, renamed, and erased all items from it. Could this be a cause of malfunctioning, are there "bad bits" or other junk messing with the file? Is there a way to "clean" them?

I hope my English was good enough to explain these issues.
Thanks in advance, cheers

Felipe Copaja

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:39 pm

No, they're not known bugs.

If you have Automatic Update Layout unchecked in Preferences/Edit, that would explain a lot of it. Turn it on and leave it on--there is no advantage to turning it off.

If that doesn't fix it, I think you'll need to delete and recreate your Preferences file per these instructions:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

fcopaja
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146

Post by fcopaja » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:42 pm

Thank you!

I checked Automatic Update Layout.
I carefully followed the instructions for F27-Mac, but step 9 did not work, no prompts appeared after restarting and launching the program.

Anyway, I haven't got back to work with Finale yet, so I'll let you know if there are any changes.

Felipe

Quincyg
Finale Version: Finale27

Post by Quincyg » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:36 am

[Finale help desk is on to this, but if anyone else can help that would be a lifesaver]

Hello Forumists
The problem: smart shapes have stopped working on an application-wide basis - I can't draw new shapes in my new files and in all old files. Old files with smart shapes already installed still have their existing shapes there but can’t add any more.
The only smart shapes I can use are the double-click ones.
I had done a complete purge and reinstall twice. Also updated to Sonoma. Drawing and other functions are unaffected in other applications, so it's not mouse or system related.
My current workaround at the moment: copying smart shapes from old files to paste in one at a time - this will kill me.

I’m in there middle of a large project, with recording Feb 15, so if anyone has a solution I will be eternally grateful.

warmest, Quincy

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:13 am

Quincyg,

Please verify that you are using Finale version 27.4.1. Mouse up to the FINALE menu and select "Check for Update..." Follow the prompts if you are presented with an update. There are some important updates in the 27.4.1 release intended to eliminate issues with Mac OS Sonoma.

Also, after updating Finale, shut down your Mac (not just restart), then start it back up. Hopefully that will correct your issues.
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:48 am

Quincyg wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:36 am
The only smart shapes I can use are the double-click ones.
What's an example of one you can't use?

Quincyg

Post by Quincyg » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:44 am

Thanks for the reply, Motet.
I can't use any of the single click and drag smart shapes: slurs, hairpins, octaves, trills, etc, etc.
This is a new one for me, I've been using Finale since the 90s.

Quincyg

Post by Quincyg » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:53 am

Thanks for your help motet and bakkumd. I tried everything you suggested but I think this might be a glitch with my Mac rather than Finale. I'll let you know how I go,
warmest, Quincy

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:27 pm

If the issues you describe do not appear in a fresh document then the document is probably corrupted. In such case, I create a new document with the same key, measures, etc. then (after clearing the MIDI Data) copy and paste the music from the corrupt document into the new. To date, this approach has worked only a few times; so I give it a try as there is nothing to lose.