first second endings collisions in parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

5notechord
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by 5notechord » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:20 pm

I am using Finale 2014.5 on a macbook pro mid-2010

Hi all! I have had this question (along with many others) for years and have never thought to ask it here. When you have first and second ending in the score, how do you adjust for part collision avoidance? Where you place it in the score dictates its placement in the parts, but if a particular part has a high note or articulations or whatever else, there is a possibility of collision. Sometimes I see that most parts have a collision with a 1st/2nd ending so I adjust in the score for an overall fix. But sometimes only 50% of parts have high notes, and the score adjustment creates parts with endings that float too high, so instead I adjust one by one in scores. Something that is particularly annoying with endings because they require selecting everything and moving vertically without moving horizontally. Or I adjust using the arrows, slower but more precise... any way to use arrows and move things further than a nudge?

Any other ideas for this annoying collision problem?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:08 pm

There's no automatic way that I know of, but maybe the Perfect Layout plug-in does it.

If you adjust an ending in a part, the score will not be affected. If you want to adjust it in the score but don't want to affect the parts, right-click the handle and pick Unlink in All Parts first. To move the ending up or down vertically but not horizontally, select the top handles first by dragging around them with the mouse then hold down the Shift key before click+dragging them.
Attachments
0427.png
0427.png (155.13 KiB) Viewed 10208 times

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:09 am

motet wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:08 pm
To move the ending up or down vertically but not horizontally, select the top handles first by dragging around them with the mouse then hold down the Shift key before click+dragging them.
Thanks, didn't know this tip, and after trying it, it seems it works in both directions, locking into horizontal or vertical depending on which way you move initially. That is incredibly useful!

I don't have perfect layout (yet).

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:30 am

>> I don't have perfect layout (yet).

I tested with Perfect Layout and v26 and it did not fix that issue, which surprised me.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:58 pm

any way to use arrows and move things further than a nudge?
You can increase the nudge distance in the Preferences window - "Edit" pane:

Nudge Distance.png
Nudge Distance.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:44 am

bakkumd wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:58 pm
any way to use arrows and move things further than a nudge?
You can increase the nudge distance in the Preferences window - "Edit" pane:

Nudge Distance.png
omg omg omg, thanks!

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:15 am

The latest version of Perfect Layout v3.0169 now supports automatic horizontal and vertical layout of first and second ending collisions, both in score and parts.

Here is an example with its default settings:

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:03 pm

There are a lot of us that would like to try Perfect Layout but the lack of a full featured short term demo version is holding us back. I know that you offer to process a file sent via email and return the result, but one really needs to have the software to test multiple times, at their leisure.

Is there a chance we'll see a demo version in the future?

Thanks much
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:20 pm

There are a lot of us that would like to try Perfect Layout but the lack of a full featured short term demo version is holding us back.
Of all the customer support people I have ever worked with Jan Angermüller creator of Perfect Layout v3 has to be the best. I am sure if you presented him with any situation or concern you have he would have an answer. If PL didn't do as he claims, he will find why and/or the answer why not so the fact there is no demo for someone to try repeatedly isn't a big issue as I see it. Send him a file. Send him your most difficult file.

I gave Jan Angermüller as much grief as anyone before I decided to buy it. I can not ever see using Finale without PL now. Even my Sibelius friends marvel over it and how PL does its thing.

One thing I hear is PL didn't make my score "perfect" so it doesn't work. But there are dozens of customizable settings you can change. You can still edit your file after running PL. You can even run PL again if need be. PL is another tool in the box just like JW Change and JW Polyphony. The current state of Finale and the way MM is acting these plug-ins are not only nice to have but necessary.
IMHO, of course.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:55 pm

Is version 3 of Perfect Layout available ? The homepage still mentions 2.6...
There is a submenu for version 3 in the "Features" menu, but the related page says that v.3 is in Beta.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:59 am

Here is what MM put out.
https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/plugin ... ming-soon/

The PL web site says ....
PURCHASE PERFECT LAYOUT V2.61 NOW AND UPDATE TO V3.0 FOR FREE
... so I assume you will get v3 when it is finalized as a free upgrade. However, I am not affiliated with PL so its best to ask them.

Here is one of my scores I did recently. It was Finale left alone while composing. Let it put whatever wherever it wants. Then running PL with default settings. I generally use scroll view to arrange or compose.
Last edited by ebiggs1 on Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:53 am

elbsound wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:15 am
The latest version of Perfect Layout v3.0169 now supports automatic horizontal and vertical layout of first and second ending collisions, both in score and parts.

Here is an example with its default settings:
Oh when did you download the update? I bought PL shortly after creating this thread and I don't think it is V3.

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:59 am

N Grossingink wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:03 pm
There are a lot of us that would like to try Perfect Layout but the lack of a full featured short term demo version is holding us back. I know that you offer to process a file sent via email and return the result, but one really needs to have the software to test multiple times, at their leisure.

Is there a chance we'll see a demo version in the future?

Thanks much
I have recently purchased PL and honestly it is (along with noteperformer for sending clients decent quality mock-ups) the best ~100 euros I've ever spent. I am an idiot for not buying it earlier, I would have saved thousands of euros in time and have avoided loads of frustration and tendinitis flare ups. It isn't perfect, I have run into new problems with it (random page breaks, lyric collisions when lyrics are large in size), and I am still moving things around scores and parts, but it has cut my formatting time easily in half if not more. 100 euros isn't that much money. If it saves you 5-10 hours of time, it is already worth it (depending on the value of your time), and it will save you more.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:10 pm

It isn't perfect, I have run into new problems with it ...
You most likely need to investigate the settings in PL. The default settings work for 80% of the music but some unique things need to have the settings changed from the default. I agree it doesn't make linked parts "perfect" but it get you one whole heck of a lot closer as a by product of creating a perfect score.
Last edited by ebiggs1 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:28 pm

5notechord,

PL3 is beta, so on the purchase page you'll need to use the pop-up to switch to beta to update your version.

I just checked it and yes, it fixes the endings problems.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:32 am

Yes, Perfect Layout v3 has been available since March.
Since then all new clients get v3 by default.
All v2 users can use the "beta" for free.

Although it's still called "beta", the plug-in development is the same as in the five years before:
The plug-in gets bi-weekly updates with fine-tuning, more or improved scenarios and new features.
All functions are throughly tested before they are released. The automatic tests runs on about 13.000 Finale scores.

Demo:
It's possible that there will be a Perfect Layout demo in the future.
Robert Patterson has just added a "Is this a Finale Demo?" check to the last release of RGP Lua.
Which means if you have a Finale demo version installed, you could also test Perfect Layout for free. But you can't save the results.

However, from my experience the "Send us a demo score" already gives a very good impression of what is possible with Perfect Layout. It also helps me a lot to further improve the plug-in, if there is a score with new scenarios that could be improved with Perfect Layout.

If you wonder which version of Perfect Layout you have installed, it is written in the title of the user dialog:

You can download the "v3 beta" on the download page.