Partially hiding ties so they don't go through notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:47 pm

Is there a way to partially hide ties so that they don't go through noteheads, as is possible to set them not to go through time signatures?

Adjusting the height of the ties sometimes looks really terrible, as in the attached screenshot, "Ties with height adjusted".

I tried putting the the chord that the ties go through on the upper staff, but that's pretty hard to read, in my opinion, as in the screenshot "chord on upper staff".

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Finale 27
OS 13.2
Attachments
Ties with height adjusted.jpg
Chord on upper staff.jpg

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:32 am

Ties are allowed to go through vertical lines, such as barlines, stems, accidentals.

You should avoid letting ties go through noteheads, though.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:49 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:32 am
Ties are allowed to go through vertical lines, such as barlines, stems, accidentals.

You should avoid letting ties go through noteheads, though.
Thank you, Peter. How do you do that, though, other than having very high arch shapes, which look bad?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:54 am

Two ideas:

1) Edit ties, by flipping or flattening.
Ties.jpg
Ties.jpg (8.3 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

2) Use the so called Ravel Ties: a short tie after one note and a short tie before the note it's tied to, to keep space open for other notes and avoid clashes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

fcopaja
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146

Post by fcopaja » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:19 pm

Hi, follow the instructions in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20196, scroll down to wessmusic post.
In this case, you draw an attached to beat slur covering the tie, and either erase the tie or minimize inside a notehead, if you need correct playback.
You could get something like this:
Attachments
tie.jpg

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:30 am

In this case, the solution is to create white mask(s) to attach to the previous bar as shown in the screenshot. Then they only hide the staff lines and nothing else. As you have already figured out, you should use slurs attached to the beats instead of ties.
Here is the raw version where you can see how the masks are placed.

_________

There is a quicker and easier way, where instead of a mask, a SMuFL font is used (in this case VintageGHMA-SMuFL), containing dedicated opaque white objects whose clones are "stretched" by a smart shape like the tilde in a trill directly into the bar, obscuring only a certain line (though possibly more at once).

The following short video demonstrates how this technique works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCJyD3 ... =WessMusic

PS 1
Finally I pressed "Command+D" to refresh the screen.
PS 2
I noticed that in the video I missed the second triplet since the time signature in that particular bar was 5/4, but for the purpose it doesn't really matter.
_________

This is achievable as the layered hierarchy of elements in Finale is: (from back to front) initial clef, staff lines, bar lines, smart shapes! etc.
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:04 am

This problem is best avoided:
Eliminate the ties.png
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:09 am

John Ruggero wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:04 am
This problem is best avoided:

Eliminate the ties.png
That certainly would be the easiest solution, and in fact I do that other places in the piece!

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 am

wessmusic wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:30 am
In this case, the solution is to create white mask(s) to attach to the previous bar as shown in the screenshot. Then they only hide the staff lines and nothing else. As you have already figured out, you should use slurs attached to the beats instead of ties.
Here is the raw version where you can see how the masks are placed.

_________

There is a quicker and easier way, where instead of a mask, a SMuFL font is used (in this case VintageGHMA-SMuFL), containing dedicated opaque white objects whose clones are "stretched" by a smart shape like the tilde in a trill directly into the bar, obscuring only a certain line (though possibly more at once).

The following short video demonstrates how this technique works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCJyD3 ... =WessMusic

PS 1
Finally I pressed "Command+D" to refresh the screen.
PS 2
I noticed that in the video I missed the second triplet since the time signature in that particular bar was 5/4, but for the purpose it doesn't really matter.
_________

This is achievable as the layered hierarchy of elements in Finale is: (from back to front) initial clef, staff lines, bar lines, smart shapes! etc.
Thanks so much! I can't quite comprehend the masking technique, but I'll work on it and will also review the video you linked here.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:14 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:54 am
Two ideas:

1) Edit ties, by flipping or flattening.

Ties.jpg

2) Use the so called Ravel Ties: a short tie after one note and a short tie before the note it's tied to, to keep space open for other notes and avoid clashes.
Thanks! No matter how much I tweaked the flipped lowest tie, it would reset whenever I printed or redrew the screen and covered one of the notes. So I turned it into a slur instead.