MUSX "Invalid File Type" in Finale 2012

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Billy May
Finale Version: v27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Billy May » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:52 am

I recently upgraded to v27. It has been nothing but a nightmare. I want to just go back to my Finale 2012. I have created a few musx files. They wont play in 2012 ("Invalid File Type") even if I change the file extension to mus. Any way to convert? Widows 10.

Thank you.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:05 am

Finale 2012 uses the older “legacy” .mus file format.

A change of the file name extension from .musx to .mus does not change the file format.

Instead, open the Finale document in v27, and Export to the Finale 2012 format:

File menu > Export > Finale 2012…

Then, v27 will create a new Finale document in the 2012 “legacy” .mus file format.
The v27 document in the newer .musx file format will not be harmed.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:16 am

Billy May wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:52 am
I recently upgraded to v27. It has been nothing but a nightmare. I want to just go back to my Finale 2012. I have created a few musx files. They wont play in 2012 ("Invalid File Type") even if I change the file extension to mus. Any way to convert? Widows 10.

Thank you.
Ah, yes, EXPORT. Duh, me, a brain-aging has been. Thank you so much.

(Political comment removed by Moderator)

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:10 pm

Billy May wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:16 am
Billy May wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:52 am

Thank you.
Ah, yes, EXPORT. Duh, me, a brain-aging has been. Thank you so much.

(Political comment removed by Moderator)
Whoops, sorry, just joking. Sorry.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:12 pm

I recently upgraded to v27. It has been nothing but a nightmare.
That should not be. What "nightmares"? Finale 27.3 works perfectly, well 99% perfectly, on thousands of computers and it will (should) do so on yours.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:04 am

ebiggs1 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:12 pm
I recently upgraded to v27. It has been nothing but a nightmare.
That should not be. What "nightmares"? Finale 27.3 works perfectly, well 99% perfectly, on thousands of computers and it will (should) do so on yours.
Thank you for offering to help. But I'm thinking this is due to a lemon of a PC. It was quirky right out of the box.

Staccato dots appear on rests. I delete, close, open, they're still there.

Cursor lags way behind.

A note in a part or parts will sustain till I stop playback. It will happen at the same measure every time.

Say I have two trumpets playing. Trumpet 1 plays normally while trumpet 2 plays staccato even if I mark the notes long. Creates a sloppy, not tight blend.

Have to constantly enable undo.

Every time I open a file, I have to choose "current counter setting" in the playback setting. "Current counter setting" does not save.

I get different looking expression menus from file to file.

Dynamics don't always work.

That's just off the top o' me head. I think I actually have to rent an mac, spend more money repurchasing v27 but for mac, just to confirm this PC is junk. Thanks again but v27 turned out to be disastrously useless, at least on this PC. What a total waste of money thus far.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:50 pm

That list of problems is daunting. Can you try the program on another Windows computer, just to confirm it's specific to your PC?

You shouldn't have to spend more money on the software. You should be able to download the Mac version from your account.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:52 pm

I am positive that is not 27.3's fault. Perhaps it is your computer and please don't take this wrong but possibly your fault. All of us here in our own way are truly trying to help Finale users out an dhow to smash issues.

Secondly you don't need to buy Finale 27.3 over if you have already bought it just because you want a Mac. Personally I have no preference which machine I use. Windows or Mac except I choose Windows PC because Mac's cost too much that they screw up the OS too often. I am not a Micro Soft fan at all but for me the PC is the best go..
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Zoots
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by Zoots » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 pm

You've indicated the PC was "quirky right out of the box". It seems that if the hardware or OS environment has a problem then that should be corrected first. No reason to expect any program should be happy if the underlying support systems have a problem.
I'd check or get this checked out before jumping onto something else.
I'm making the assumption that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Finale at least once with no change - the first thing that a problem piece of software requires for checking is: 1: A reboot of the computer and 2: Uninstall and reinstall the problem software, 3: Determine if other programs or functions are having problems too. (You can switch the order of 2 and 3 if you wish but often 3 is obvious.)
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:26 pm

If I had to guess, I'd guess the problem has to do with opening and/or converting Finale 2012 documents in Finale 27 rather than a computer problem. Especially with the new SMuFL fonts, there are pitfalls to doing that.

If you have Finale 2012 installed, a good exercise might be to export your file as MusicXML and import that into Finale 27, which will create a pure Finale 27 file. If that's fine, you'll know the problem has to do with opening and/or converting a Finale 2012 document rather than your computer.

You could also attach one of the files you're having trouble with--e.g. the staccato rests you can't delete--and see if others here have the same experience with Finale 27.

With all the problems you're having, you might just ask for a refund. You might do better with Sibelius or Dorico, frankly, which have simpler interfaces. They can read MusicXML files as well.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:00 am

motet wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:26 pm
If I had to guess, I'd guess the problem has to do with opening and/or converting Finale 2012 documents in Finale 27 rather than a computer problem. Especially with the new SMuFL fonts, there are pitfalls to doing that.

If you have Finale 2012 installed, a good exercise might be to export your file as MusicXML and import that into Finale 27, which will create a pure Finale 27 file. If that's fine, you'll know the problem has to do with opening and/or converting a Finale 2012 document rather than your computer.

You could also attach one of the files you're having trouble with--e.g. the staccato rests you can't delete--and see if others here have the same experience with Finale 27.

With all the problems you're having, you might just ask for a refund. You might do better with Sibelius or Dorico, frankly, which have simpler interfaces. They can read MusicXML files as well.
Thank you, I'll look into that. I need time. This has been daunting and draining.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:01 am

EDIT
Last edited by Billy May on Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:08 am

Billy May wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:01 am
Zoots wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 pm
You've indicated the PC was "quirky right out of the box". It seems that if the hardware or OS environment has a problem then that should be corrected first. No reason to expect any program should be happy if the underlying support systems have a problem.
I'd check or get this checked out before jumping onto something else.
I'm making the assumption that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Finale at least once with no change - the first thing that a problem piece of software requires for checking is: 1: A reboot of the computer and 2: Uninstall and reinstall the problem software, 3: Determine if other programs or functions are having problems too. (You can switch the order of 2 and 3 if you wish but often 3 is obvious.)
Thank you. I've done all I know to get this PC to work right. And I'm not going to bring it in, so to speak. I think I recall un-reinstalling v27. But I just did it again, to be sure I did it, and now v27 won't play its own files! 2012 opens and it prompts "Invalid file type." So I choose v27 to open the files and I get a similar prompt. So I did a system restore. At least now v27 plays its own files. This is an aggravating mess. I'm mentally exhausted.

Thanks again.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:17 am

miker wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:50 pm
That list of problems is daunting. Can you try the program on another Windows computer, just to confirm it's specific to your PC?

You shouldn't have to spend more money on the software. You should be able to download the Mac version from your account.
Thanks for that info. I've have no other 10 PC. I'm thinking of renting one to do the test your suggest.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:19 am

ebiggs1 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:52 pm
I am positive that is not 27.3's fault. Perhaps it is your computer and please don't take this wrong but possibly your fault. All of us here in our own way are truly trying to help Finale users out an dhow to smash issues.

Secondly you don't need to buy Finale 27.3 over if you have already bought it just because you want a Mac. Personally I have no preference which machine I use. Windows or Mac except I choose Windows PC because Mac's cost too much that they screw up the OS too often. I am not a Micro Soft fan at all but for me the PC is the best go..
Thank you for that info. I may rent another PC for a week just to see how v27 works on it.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:15 pm

If you bought your computer from a local dealer you might want to have them check it over to see if it is operating correctly.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:11 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:15 pm
If you bought your computer from a local dealer you might want to have them check it over to see if it is operating correctly.
Thank you. I bought it new on eBay, I think.