Keyboard Maestro?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:53 pm

I've been using keyboard shortcuts for years, via the Mac Keyboard control panel > App Shortcuts. No problems. A couple of days ago, they stopped working. I went back to the control panel, and some were missing, some were rearranged, and some were there, but missing the trigger key. I reset them, work on a couple of docs, and they are gone again. I have upgraded to the most current Mac OS and uninstalled Finale, and downloaded a fresh copy. Same issue.

Apple really tried to help, but in the end, nothing.

I looked at Keyboard Maestro, and it looks like a lot more than I need. I certainly don't mind buying it, if it will let me simply set up Finale shortcuts like I'm used to, and use them the same way from within Finale. For example, F5 for layer 1, F6 for layer 2. Simple stuff, no multi-step macros. Is KM what I want?

And yes, I've opened a support ticket.
Attachments
shortcuts as I load them.jpg
shortcuts corrupted.jpg
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:11 am

I've used KM for several years and found it to work pretty well for keyboard commands in Finale, Mike. That's all I do in it actually. As you said, it's a pretty complicated program. You might need this macro that I found online for KM to find Finale again after leaving it for another application:

Macro to cause Keyboard Maestro to recognize Finale after returning to Finale after another program:
KM Macro.png
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:22 am

miker,

Sorry to read of your issue with Apple custom keyboard shortcuts... I can't imagine getting anything done without mine - all programmed into Keyboard Maestro.

Are you having similar issues with Apple custom shortcuts that you use with other applications? Just trying to narrow it down a little - this is the first I've ever heard of messed up Apple shortcuts in Ventura.

If you do get Keyboard Maestro, I would be happy to make you a starter set of macros for your keyboard shortcuts so you can get back to work. Send me an email with your list of needed keyboard shortcuts and I'll put it together for you. You could use it to help learn the syntax and the various options for automating virtually anything on your Mac.

The real power of this app comes from combining multiple actions int one shortcut. One I use multiple times daily to format parts includes the following actions:

1. Select the page layout tool
2. Redefine all pages of current part/score
3. Space Systems Evenly
4. Place maximum number of systems on page
5. Reselect the Selection tool

This all takes less than 2 seconds in KM, and about a minute or more if I do it manually.

My favorite macro exports all parts from a score to PDF files, numbers them in score order, adds the part name to the file name and saves them as PDFs. The macro can process a score with 30+ staves in under two minutes - manually it takes me about about 15 minutes to do the same thing.

You can get as simple or complex as you want. As you learn the various actions available, you will think of more ways to speed things up. Plus - there is an entire active community for KM very similar to these Finale blogs - I've asked for help a number of times and usually get a reply the same day.

So, send me a note if you would like to give it a try - it's the least I can do for all of the terrific posts you have contributed over the years...
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

miker

Post by miker » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:15 pm

Thanks, guys! Very encouraging.

I have a local choirmate who can get me started, but I'll certainly keep your offers in mind!

I only use one shortcut in one other program, and so far, that's OK.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:02 pm

+1 for Keyboard Maestro.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:54 am

miker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:53 pm
I've been using keyboard shortcuts for years, via the Mac Keyboard control panel > App Shortcuts. No problems. A couple of days ago, they stopped working. I went back to the control panel, and some were missing, some were rearranged, and some were there, but missing the trigger key. I reset them, work on a couple of docs, and they are gone again. I have upgraded to the most current Mac OS and uninstalled Finale, and downloaded a fresh copy. Same issue.
I have a large set of shortcuts created via the OS, and they still work fine. How did you 'reset' them -- manually in the System Preferences, or with a shell script, or by restoring your finale plist file?

Here's my old post about OS shortcuts, in case there's anything relevant:

viewtopic.php?t=20177

miker

Post by miker » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:49 pm

Thanks BT. I did it by entering into the Keyboard Shortcuts panel. I'll look at your scripts again.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

cunardferguson
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by cunardferguson » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:37 am

Hi Mike have you tried Jetstream for finale? I use it quite a bit as well as the usual keyboard shortcuts. Like you I tried KM but for what I would use it for seemed like overkill. With the Jetstream controller you don't have to remember shortcuts as everything is visual and the mobile version works great on an iPad.

miker

Post by miker » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:21 pm

I'm settling in with KM, but, thanks!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura