Spontaneous quitting while adding cue note

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:58 pm

This is happening quite often: I select notes I want added as cues, select the part or parts they go into, hit enter, and Finale abruptly quits. It has just happened to me three times in a row in trying to add the same cue notes. When I reopen Finale, most of the time the Main Tool Palette is missing, but not always.

I haven't lost anything major, but it's turning out to be a big time waste to keep having to reopen Finale and start over again.

Is anyone else having this trouble? And more important, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep it from happening?

Thanks,

Mark
OS 13
Finale 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:06 pm

Please specify the steps you’ve already taken (to solve the problem), so that we can rule out things.

Assuming that the problem is not document specific (file corruption), but rather program specific (= happens in all documents):

When something like that happens, the usual steps you should try, are
- quit Finale, and launch it again,
- re-boot the computer,
- reset Finale’s Preferences (there is a button for that in the Preferences window),
- quit Finale, remove the Preferences file (it is called 'com.makemusic.finale.fprf'), and launch Finale again.
Since this last step forces Finale to create a new, fresh Preferences file, it is a little more drastic than the previous one.

* Have you tried these steps?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:26 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:06 pm

Please specify the steps you’ve already taken (to solve the problem), so that we can rule out things.

Assuming that the problem is not document specific (file corruption), but rather program specific (= happens in all documents):

When something like that happens, the usual steps you should try, are
- quit Finale, and launch it again,
- re-boot the computer,
- reset Finale’s Preferences (there is a button for that in the Preferences window),
- quit Finale, remove the Preferences file (it is called 'com.makemusic.finale.fprf'), and launch Finale again.
Since this last step forces Finale to create a new, fresh Preferences file, it is a little more drastic than the previous one.

* Have you tried these steps?
1. I tried it in two different documents other than the one I'm having the problem with; it happened in one but not the other, so perhaps it is document specific.
2. I quit Finale and relaunched it
3. I restarted the computer
4. I closed all open applications besides Finale
5. I have not yet reset the preferences. I'm about to leave town until tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have to wait to do that. I'll let you know when I have tried it and, if necessary, removing the Preferences file.

Thanks,

Mark

shandrue

Post by shandrue » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:41 am

The same thing (adding cues caused Finale to suddenly quit) happened to me twice tonight.

I also had to force quit Finale this afternoon three times with another newer document after Finale quit responding (unclear why - I was trying to switch between tools), and I lost quite a lot of work. Have set the preferences to autosave since then. I DID restart my computer tonight before the cue thing started.

I will try Peter's steps tomorrow, although I'd prefer not to have to reset my preferences.

Thanks,

Shannon

Mac OS 13.5.2
Finale V 27.3

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:33 pm

I'm going to weigh in here too, because this also happened to me recently.
The file in question was a 10 minute chamber orchestra piece of mine that I was thoughtfully trying to add cues for the parts. (18 staves; 1,1,1,1 2,2,1,0 Timp, 2 Perc., 2 Gtrs, Strings)
I should also say that I'm one of those Finale users that will generate and fine tune a score first, then duplicate that pristine version and save it as my "Parts" Score. This route works fairly well for me, and usually, the 'adding cues' part of the process is crash-free.
I'm finished now, but it started happening repeatedly toward the end of my Parts editing process. I'm not sure if the problem was one particular staff, a corrupted file, or what. I do remember one instance where I changed the cue from Brass to Woodwinds. ?
I am relieved to see a method of trying to address the problem. Thanks, Peter. I'm going to copy the process down and keep it on a clipboard next to my work station.
FWIW, I'm going to keep on making a Parts score for larger works; at least I'll know that my Conductor's Score is set aside and will be fine.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:12 pm

I have the full TG Tools and their cue notes plug-in is the one thing I still use regularly.

shandrue

Post by shandrue » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:37 am

Adding cue notes through TGTools or TGTools Pro is crashing Finale over 90% of the time now. I've tried it in different parts and on different docs, I tried resetting the preferences and removing the preference file, and nothing helps. Rarely, a short cue add done early on in a Finale session will work. Otherwise, the cue feature crashes Finale v27 on my Mac (m1pro system 13.5.2.)

The work around to create cues is is a giant time *** for me involving resizing noteheads, stems, and rests (can't figure out how to reduce flag size on eighth notes), etc. And it isn't pretty!

Any help is appreciated! :cry:

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:42 am

You could use the plug-in JW Change -> Note Entries -> Resize. It will resize the flags as well.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:54 pm

Does the crashing happen with Plug-ins->Scoring and arranging->Add cute notes? I just tried it a few times in Finale 27.3 (which admittedly I don't really use) and it seems OK.

shandrue

Post by shandrue » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:26 pm

It's happening in both plug-ins, and no fix with V27.4.

I am having to manually add cues which is a pain.