Can I Externally Control Playback?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

javacoder

Post by javacoder » Wed May 31, 2006 6:41 am

Hi,

I'm new to Finale (I have never used it). I am writing some Java code that helps choirs to sing, and I would like to find a way to get score to scroll across a screen in synchronization with a Java program I have created. A colleague suggested that I look into Finale. I am assuming that Finale has a "playback" mode that can scroll through a score. I would like to know if there is any way to externally control this "playback" ability (e.g. control when the scrolling would start & stop, and control the tempo of the scrolling). I would like my Java program to control the scrolling of the score.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed May 31, 2006 10:54 am

I'm not an expert in this matter but here are 2 infos :
1) yes, Finale can get the score to scroll during playback. But tempo cannot be modified on the flight while the music is playing. Every tempo change has to be programmed into the score. You have to enter some text expressions and program them to affect the tempo of the playback. As soon as the music starts, in this playback mode, you cannot interfere with its tempo.
2) In the playback window, I can see a checkbox "Wait for Midi sync", which means that you can do some things remotely.

I have made a screenshot of the few lines concerning the topic in the Finale manual (I have Finale version 2005). I can't attach anything to this post. Send me a private message (click on the PM or email button under my message) with your email address, I'll be glad to send it to you.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

javacoder

Post by javacoder » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:32 pm

Thanks michelp for the info. I read that Finale cannot be externally controlled (via MIDI) by a software program:

http://www.finaleforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=606

Is that true (even for versions 2005, 2006)?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:10 am

javacoder wrote:Thanks michelp for the info. I read that Finale cannot be externally controlled (via MIDI) by a software program:

http://www.finaleforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=606

Is that true (even for versions 2005, 2006)?
I don't know for sure. Contact me by mail, so I can send you a screenshot of the 2005 manual on this matter.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua