Shift-End not working

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:12 pm

My understanding is that if I have a measure selected in the selection tool, I ought to be able to hold SHIFT and press END and my selection should then expand from the selected measure to the end of the piece. But all it does is move to the last page in Page View (or the last measure in scroll view).

Macbook has been restarted and tested again - I still get same result

None of the shift-numpad combos seem to work. If I want to move a Lyric Syllable or Chord or Expression to it's default position, I used to be able to select the Selection Handle, and press SHIFT DELETE, but now nothing happens. Same for SHIFT-RIGHT or LEFT arrow to increase the selection.

Any reason this could be happening? The key is not stuck. It works fine in combination with any keys on the standard keyboard, just not the NUMPAD.

I was told that I could use the Macbook with the same keyboard shortcuts as a desktop if I got a bluetooth NumPad. I was really hoping this would work, as having to switch back and forth from two keyboard shortcut layout screws with my muscle memory and workflow.

MacBook air (most current Ventura), Finale 27 (most current update)
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

dallascomposer

Post by dallascomposer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:55 pm

So it turns out this is an Apple issue. The system can not combine Shift/Control/Command keys from the primary keyboard with the supplementary keyboard's keys. Came across ScoringNotes which addressed this very issue with bluetooth Numpads and directed me to a free license app called Karabiner that solves this. (As this is a hardware issue maybe a mod would like to move this thread if needed?)
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)

neil101
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by neil101 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:18 pm

This will work 50% of the time:

If you start your selection from before mid-point you can select the whole staff, then shift-click the measure you want to start with and you will be left with a selection from that measure to the end. If you are after half-way point you are left with selection from measure to start.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:58 am

dallascomposer wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:12 pm
My understanding is that if I have a measure selected in the selection tool, I ought to be able to hold SHIFT and press END and my selection should then expand from the selected measure to the end of the piece. But all it does is move to the last page in Page View (or the last measure in scroll view).… … …
If you have a key at the bottom left on your MacBook keyboard labelled ‘fn’, have you tried Shift>fn>right arrow? This works for me. (But neither my OS nor my Finale are the latest.)
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

dallascomposer

Post by dallascomposer » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:39 pm

Yes - the fn key combos all work as a substitute.

The main issue is that I use both an iMac at home and a MacBook on the go to work in Finale. And having two keyboard layouts with two sets of key combinations slows me down. Using the 3rd party software worked to get me using the full keyboard shortcuts on the laptop, which means I can let my muscle memory take over without having to think about which machine I am on and using a different key combo.
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)