adjust alignment of grace notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rjawad1
Finale Version: 27.4.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by rjawad1 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:13 am

i have several places where the spacing of the grace notes doesn't look right. the grace notes are overlapping with the bass too much in the picture. how do i adjust it so that the grace notes come after the bass notes?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 9.09.21 PM.jpg
v27.4.1, mac

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:15 am

rjawad1 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:13 am
… so that the grace notes come after the bass note …
It is not clear to me what you mean.

Here are two examples:

A: Big measure width, bass notes evenly spaced

B: Small measure width, bass notes un-evenly spaced

A or B?
Attachments
SpacingA.jpg
SpacingA.jpg (11.49 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
SpacingB.jpg
SpacingB.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Shinohara 1027
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Shinohara 1027 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:57 am

Hello, rjawad1.

In principle, grace notes are considered to have no rhythmic duration, and unless there is a collision, other voices do not need to leave space for the grace notes. This is handled in a similar way to accidentals.

However, in addition to the rules of music engraving, there may be performance interpretation issues similar to the one you raised.

The following image compares different editions of the same piece from IMSLP. Depending on the publisher, the handling of the ornamentation varies. In fact, there is a disputed interpretation regarding the starting position of this ornamentation, making it a great example of how musical notation can influence performance.
1611539705068.jpg
I also reviewed Peter's suggestions. However, in Option A, evenly widening the spacing may result in an uneven distribution of other measures within the same system. In Option B, as mentioned earlier, as long as there is no collision, the original spacing of other voices should not be compromised for the sake of grace notes.

So here, I would like to propose two solutions as well. Firstly, to keep the original notation unchanged and add asterisks above it, with performance annotations written at the bottom of the page. Secondly, if it is your own composition and you want to explicitly indicate the performance technique, such as playing on the beat, you can use the method shown in the image below.
截屏2023-11-03 17.55.26大.jpeg
However, perhaps the notation I presented is not exactly what you are looking for. It is just a suggestion to provide some ideas for reference. In general, unless there is a specific reason, it is recommended to follow the principles mentioned above and stick to the original style. I hope the above information can be helpful to you

Sincerely
廿七

rjawad1
Finale Version: 27.4.1

Post by rjawad1 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:02 am

thanks a lot for the advice. the chopin examples were very helpful. i was thinking something like option A that Peter gave, but after looking at the nocturne examples, maybe i'll just leave it alone.
v27.4.1, mac