Toccata font replacement

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:52 pm

Spent the past week trying to get Finale 27 to recognize the Toccata font (addressed in a previous thread: In existing articulations, I can go to the Symbol Selection subwindow and see the full font there, and it says "Font: Toccata" at the bottom; but it will only print out the dreaded [?] character, and the Toccata font does not show up in the Finale 27 Font list despite it being available on the system and all other applications)

Anyhow, since it seems clear for some reason that Finale 27 can't print this font, I have to move forward and find substitutions so I can go back and edit my existing files that use the symbols.

Most of these symbols I have found in the "Finale Maestro" font but the following I can not (and of course these are the ones I use the most)

An Up or Down arrow on a squiggle that I can combine with an Arpeggio articulation to notate the direction. There are two in Finale Maestro, but they include a very long squiggle so I can't use them. I just need an arrow with a short squiggle.

Small noteheads with parentheses and accidentals. I can combine 4 separate articulations from Finale Maestro to create the same thing, but this is not feasible to correct existing articulations.

If anyone can point me toward a font that has these symbols so that I can edit the Articulation once in the Articulation Designer for a file it would be most helpful.
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:07 pm

There's the arpeggio symbol that could be combined with an arrowhead in the shape designer. Is this too long? Maybe attach a picture of your Toccata arrow.
Attachments
0504.png

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:53 am

dallascomposer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:52 pm
Small noteheads with parentheses and accidentals. I can combine 4 separate articulations from Finale Maestro to create the same thing, but this is not feasible to correct existing articulations.
Can you not just resize the notehead? You'll have to resize the accidental back afterwards, though. But you could perhaps quicken things with the JW Change plug-in.
Screenshot 8.png
FWIW, FinaleMaestro does have the combined accidental and parentheses as one glyph: uF5D5 to uF5D9.