print output doesn't match.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rjawad1
Finale Version: 27.4.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by rjawad1 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:24 am

when choose file->print the output on paper doesn't match the score on the screen. it's pretty close, but sometimes a measure will end up on the next system. what command do i need to run before i print so that i see exactly what will be on the paper? i also tried print to pdf, and the same problem happens there when i view the pdf file.
v27.4.1, mac

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:34 am

Finale’s PDF output is pretty wonky. I’ve had pretty good results by using the Graphics tool, and Exporting as PDF.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:37 am

rjawad1 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:24 am
when choose file->print the output on paper doesn't match the score on the screen. it's pretty close, but sometimes a measure will end up on the next system …
Finale has linked parts.
This means that the very same Finale document contains both the score and the part(s).

My first guess would be
- that your Finale document is a one-instrument document (with both a score and a linked part, containing the very same music),
- that you are viewing viewing the score, but printing the linked part.

But I am just guessing.

Anyway, try exporting as PDF from the Graphics Tool.
In that way you will always get what you see on the computer screen (= the score or part you are viewing).
Also, exporting as PDF from the Graphics Tool might be a little faster than “printing” to a PDF file.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

rjawad1

Post by rjawad1 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:25 am

yes, if i print from the pdf that was generated, it's fine.
but if i print straight from the finale file, there seems to be some slight shifting around. i have just one grand staff for the score, and i'm printing from the score.

so, the answer i'm hearing is that i can't really trust 100% what i see when i'm viewing the finale file. is that correct? it seems problematic to me.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 7.09.28 PM.png
v27.4.1, mac

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:08 am

Can you post a picture of screen vs print to show what you mean?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 pm

rjawad1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:25 am
… I have just one grand staff for the score, and I'm printing from the score …
Your screen shot shows that your document contains a linked part.

You can safely delete the linked part - since you do not use it.
(This is done in Document menu > Manage Parts…)

However, your screen shot also shows that you are printing the score, not the linked part.
rjawad1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:25 am
… if I print straight from the Finale file, there seems to be some slight shifting around …
After you printed “straight from the Finale file”, did you then close the Finale document, and open it again - before comparing with the print?

If the re-opened Finale document shows the same “slight shifting around” as the print, then I suspect that the culprit is a document setting for Multimeasure Rests:

Document Options - Multimeasure Rests
De-select the option “Update Automatically”.

Does that solve the problem?

rjawad1

Post by rjawad1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:38 pm

no.
i deleted the linked part.
i unchecked multi-measure rest: update automatically. (i don't have any multi-measure rests, though)
i tried printing to pdf via the print menu. i also tried using the graphics tool.
when i close the finale file and re-open, the file looks the same, but does not match the pdf file.

there may be other differences, but the one i notice is that a measure at the end of one system ends up at the beginning of the next system. there is a rehearsal mark and when the measure goes to the next line, the rehearsal mark gets shifted over. that's how i noticed it. i got the output to look ok, but i had to guess the position of the rehearsal mark so that when the measure gets shifted in the output, the rehearsal mark goes to the right place. in the finale file, it looks wrong, but in the output, it looks ok.

i just noticed something weird. if i zoom in, the measure also shifts to the next line and matches the output. so, there seems to be a problem with the zoom function in finale. if i zoom out, the measure shifts back up to the previous line.
v27.4.1, mac

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:48 pm

rjawad1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:38 pm
… if I zoom in, the measure also shifts to the next line and matches the output. So, there seems to be a problem with the zoom function in Finale. If I zoom out, the measure shifts back up to the previous line.
It sounds like you have found the culprit.

At what zoom percentage do you usually view your Finale documents?

Generally, there does not seem to be problems with 100 % zoom, and also not with 200 %, 400 %, 800 %.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:58 pm

Make sure the layout is updated: Ctrl-U. If "Automatic update layout" is not turned on in preferences, it should be.