Word Extension Problem

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ajeberg
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Ajeberg » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 pm

Dear all,

I've been browsing through word extension threads in the forum, but couldn't find a solution for the problem here attached.

When I use two layers containing lyrics on the same staff and I need word extensions to extend over to the next system, the original position of the word extension line is not kept, and I'm not able to move it up/down in the next system using the word extension edit on the lyrics menu because it only allows for right/left edits. As you can see in the picture, the word extension that starts above the staff is continued below the next staff in the following system. I have already tried the "update smart word extensions and hyphens" on the utilities menu. It doesn't work. Also tried the Document Options word extension controls, but those mess up everything else, as it is not meant for local use. And when I try the type-into-score triangles, the fourth triangle does nothing and the third triangle – which I use for moving lyrics up/down on a system-by-system basis – ends up moving the ensuing lyrics, which is not what I want.

This is Finale 26 for Mac.

Is there any way to solve this? I thank you all in advance for any help...
Attachments
Word Extension Problem.png

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:44 pm

If you enter the lyrics in Scroll View, the word extensions will break correctly in Page View.

Or, you can create a custom line, the same thickness as the word extension, and use that where needed.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Ajeberg

Post by Ajeberg » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:55 pm

Thank you for your answer, Mike.

If I use a custom line, how do I get the word extension to be forcefully interrupted, so it doesn't stretch to the next system?

As for the scroll view, would it work if I erase and re-enter only the lyrics in the measures involved?

Ajeberg

Post by Ajeberg » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:35 pm

Hi Mike, I've tried doing it on Scroll View, but after doing it, as I go back to Page View, the problem persists: wrong alignment...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Using the custom line, even in page view, you can adjust the length and location by dragging. With layers causing the problem, page view and custom line may be the way to go.

You should have the different sets of lyrics in different verse assignments. Do you? This would give you better control of the word extensions.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society