Expanding and contracting instrument staves in groups per page

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

PeterS
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by PeterS » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:26 am

I am working on a large orchestral score for full orchestra. I have my score page size set to 11x17 to be able to hold all the staves. My question is this. Say my first 4 pages, as an example, have the string group set up with 5 staves named Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello, Contrabass. Then on page 5 I want to show the strings having been changed to divisi with separate staves for Violin I a, Violin I b, Violin I c, Violin I d, Violin II a, Violin II b, Violin II c, Violin II d, Viola a, Viola b, Viola c, Viola d, Cello a, Cello b, DB a, DB b. The "a", "b" represent "desks" within the section. Then on page 6 I want to go back to the original 5 string staves named Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello, Contrabass. Is there a handy way to define these changes so I can implement them on various pages throughout my score. I want a clean looking score with no pages that show a completely empty stave. For example, no page where the Violin I b stave is completely empty, etc. Also, when a page shows only Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello, Contrabass, I don't want the name of the stave Violin I to also include the name "a". (If you understand what I'm driving at.)

Right now, not knowing any better, I have built a score where all the pages have the full extent of all the staves I will end up needing in various places in the score. In other words, every page has separate string staves named Violin I a, Violin I b, Violin I c, Violin I d, Violin II a, Violin II b, Violin II c, Violin II d, Viola a, Viola b, Viola c, Viola d, Cello a, Cello b, DB a, DB b. I just do not understand how to slip in and out of expanded staves and tutti contracted staves on a per page basis.

BTY, don't worry about the issue of assigning music library instruments to any staves. The way I work is to always create two versions of every score. One I call my "Play" version where I can feel free to notate any necessary crazy dynamics or articulations to get Finale to play back the score the way I want it to sound. My other score file I call my "Print" version where it looks as correct as a published printed score should look.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Finale 26.3.1.520
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i9-9900K 3.8 GHz, 32 GB RAM C/D: SSD
GPO 5, World Instruments, Classic Pipe Organs
Audacity 2.4.1

PeterS

Post by PeterS » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:27 am

I should have updated my system info. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. My Finale version is 27.3.0.137.
Finale 26.3.1.520
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Audacity 2.4.1

PeterS

Post by PeterS » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:20 pm

From what I've just learned about hiding empty staves, I think I'm going to be able to work with it to satisfy my needs.
Finale 26.3.1.520
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Audacity 2.4.1