Dotted rests still in quantization settings?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bopeuph
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by bopeuph » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:30 pm

That's still a strange place to hide that setting.

Another annoying thing is we commonly prefer dotted eighth and sixteenth rests in simple meters, but not dotted half rests. It's annoying to have to go back and forth with that checkbox when it should not only be more robust, but shouldn't be embedded so deep in the quantization settings of all places.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:46 pm

I agree it's a strange place for that setting. I also agree that if you enter a quarter note it should not fill out the measure with a dotted half rest. This setting also inexplicably affects notes as well as rests in a mysterious way when copying.

Where the feature comes into play is in "fill measure with rests." I leave "allow dotted rests" unchecked. If I enter a measure which has a dotted eighth (or sixteenth, etc.) rest, I have to remember to fill the end of the measure with rests manually. If you forget and go to the next measure and it autofills and converts your dotted eighth rest to eight+sixteenth as it fills, you can undo and go back and fill manually.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:06 pm

In my experience, it can also auto change to include dotted rests (or not) if you have to change rhythms in the measure again. Sometimes you really have to keep a sharp eye on it.

Finale is complete enough that you can adjust/alter individual beams, but you can't dictate how certain rests auto-dot. It's strange that, even after 25 years of complaints, it still exists.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:58 pm

Any time it undots your rest, you can Undo, I think.

Can you supply an example of what you're talking about? If the edit leaves the measure short of rests I can see "fill with rests" kicking in; otherwise, I haven't experienced that.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:45 pm

I'll try the next time it happens. But it's usually based on copy/paste like you said. It's just annoying that rests (or, in other cases that may or may not have been fixed in Finale, dotted notes) don't paste properly, even when "everything" as well as the full measure is supposed to be copied.