system spacing

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 am

Am having some trouble with spacing between systems in the attached file.
Spacing on page 2 looks reasonable. But when I try to drag system 2 on page 1 upward,
it won't go. (using staff tool) See attached, thanks.
Attachments
test2.musx
(128.81 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:01 am

If you invoke the Page Layout tool, you'll see that system 2 has a giant top margin, which runs up against the bottom margin of system 1. There's a handle there to decrease the top margin. You probably want to do your manual system spacing in that tool anyway, as it has more features.

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:12 am

When dragging systems - click and drag on the music, not the little squares on the corners of the system margins.

You have dragged the system margin to the top on the system you referred to. Drag that little box (upper left) from system two back down to the flute part, then click (and hold) on the music, press the shift key (to constrain movement to vertical) and move the mouse up. Let the mouse up and let the page redraw.

If it's not far enough, drag it (with shift key down) again until it's in the spot you want.

Also - Are you familiar with using RGP Lua plugins? If you are, I've created a plugin that will move systems up/down one space each time (24 EVPUs). I can send it to you to install and use if you message me your email.

My least favorite tool is the Page Layout tool. I've created plugins to adjust staff system position by just selecting a measure in the staff system you wish to move, and then select the up or down plugin. I'm on a Mac and have created shortcuts using the arrow keys and ctrl-shift. This makes system adjustments very easy - no need to go to the Page Layout tool.

Message me your email if you would like the plugin. I'm happy to have you try it. One caveat... I've not tested it on Windows, but theoretically it should work the same.

I can't get the gif file to upload, so here is a very quick and rough video showing the staff system moving using the plug-in.

https://youtu.be/RmfhDYnqqQg
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26

Post by musicus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:30 pm

Thanks
motet wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:01 am
If you invoke the Page Layout tool, you'll see that system 2 has a giant top margin, which runs up against the bottom margin of system 1. There's a handle there to decrease the top margin. You probably want to do your manual system spacing in that tool anyway, as it has more features.