"echo" quality when playing midi keyboard (note entry NOT selected)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

songbird77
Operating System: Windows

Post by songbird77 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:43 pm

I recently downloaded a 30 day trial of finale v.27. I have had Songwriter 2012 for some years and have used it (in spite of its quirks) without major problems. It has worked for me as I don’t compose complex compositions – mostly piano/vocals/guitar. It’s not the greatest at entering notes via midi keyboard (and I don’t play like a metronome either) but I finally figured I’d give the full version a try.

First test: I opened a file from Songwriter and it behaved! However, when I go to play something on the piano (WITHOUT note entry tool selected) in finale 27, I get playback – with an echo. (this same thing happened with a new, fresh file started in finale 27 as well)
This is different from what Songwriter did – In Songwriter, I used to be able to just click to the “selection” (arrow) tool in SW, play on the piano (midi) keyboard, and hear what I was playing. (This is to try out possible alternatives before entering into finale). No echo / double play there.

Finale seems to be accepting the notes as MIDI and then spitting them back to the MIDI keyboard – even though the quick entry tool is NOT selected - giving me an echo-like quality. I’ve checked MIDI settings but can’t find anything that could be the culprit. I DO want to be able to play on my piano keyboard without having to disconnect it from Finale – I am not a composer that has everything in the brain and then just spits it out to paper (or software), I need to try things on the piano before committing (and I don’t have room for a second piano keyboard!)

Thanks in advance for input, and my apologies if this has been discussed before – if it has, I have not yet stumbled upon the magical search term that brings forth the answer. This is a deal-breaker for me, if I can’t turn it off, I’ll just go back to Songwriter.