Page offset for Score but not parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:41 pm

Hello.

How can I make page offset number for the score (since I want to combine several files into one as PDF) and not for the parts?
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:13 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about Page Numbers - right?

And you are talking about a page number Text Block - right?

And you are talking about the Text menu item
Edit Page Offset…
- right?

I would use two different text blocks, one text block for the Score, and another text block for the Parts.
You can use {Edit Page Offset} on the {score page number} text block - not affecting the {parts page number} text block.

In the score, view at a low zoom percentage, and drag the {score page number} text block to the right until it is outside the right page edge - so that it is no longer inside the page in the parts.
In that way the text block will not display/print in the parts.
Then, hold down the Override key (in Mac Finale it is the Command key), and drag the {score page number} text block back onto the score page.
Because of the Override key the text block will only move back in the score, not in the parts.
Now the text block’s positioning linking is broken be tween the score and the parts, and you can position the text block in the score, not affecting the parts.

Similarly, in the score, position the {parts page number} text block at the position needed for the parts.
Then, in the score, hold down the Override key, and drag the {parts page number} text block to the right until it is outside the right page edge - so that it is no longer inside the page in the score.
Because of the Override key the text block will only move away in the score, not in the parts.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:32 pm

Dear Peter, yes that is what I am talking about.

I didn't know it is the only way to do offset differently in the parts. I will proceed with your suggestions. Many thanks!

All the best, OCTO

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:41 pm

Curiously, you can't drag it off the left margin, only top, right, and bottom. After Peter's last dragging step, you may want to open the dialog to set the exact location to where it was.

I do operas and put each act in a separate file. In Act II, each part typically begins on a different page, since each had a different number of pages in Act I. So I would need umpteen text blocks. I have given up and add page numbers in the PDF realm after combining the acts. I've also heard people changing the page offset just long enough to print.

Finale also fails to change left/right positioning if the offset is an odd number.

I would like to see Finale offer a per-part page number instead.

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:24 pm

Is it possible to hide page numbers in all parts by once? I can combine them with CutePDF, and add pagination.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:05 am

From the Text tool, go to the score, right-click on a page number's handle, and uncheck Show. That will hide them them everywhere. If you want to see them in the score only, the right-click the handle again and pick Unlink in All Parts, then right-click a third time and pick Show.

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:28 am

Oh, yes, that way. Thanks again Peter!