tempo changes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tbdbitl-k7
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by tbdbitl-k7 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:58 pm

I think I see how the slow down - ritard/rallentando - works.

1. I mark the spot where want the tempo to slow down with ritard/rit or rall. inserted from the tempo alteration list

2. the playback process recognizes the ritard markings I have added.

This is perhaps an over- simplified explanation - if I am missing something, bear with me.....

I am working with some Percy Grainger arrangements, and if you've ever seen his work, he never (it seems) uses common italian music markings. For example - he uses "Slow off" or "Slow off lots" to indicate slowing tempos. I want to use his text indications to keep up the Grainger experience.

So my question is "How do I get Finale to recognize Slow off lots to be a molto ritard?" I am not led to believe that the playback engine understands Graingerese.

The tempo alterations provide ways to create new tags, but how to do I define what I want the playback to do with it? I see how to establish a new tempo with the playback tempo setting, but that is an immediate effect. I want the ritard effect - tempo slowing down (or speeding up) over several beats.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and providing your suggestions.

Jerry

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:19 pm

Enter and hide the original expressions. Use text expressions for the Grainger stylings.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society