Multiple Voices - apostrophe won't invoke

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kzimmer0817
Finale Version: Finale 2017
Operating System: Windows

Post by kzimmer0817 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:47 pm

Greetings. First post. I've utilized multiple voices numerous times with Finale on both Mac and Windows and generally have no difficulty with it. Yesterday, while arranging a hymn for church, while in Speedy Entry I clicked on the V1 note where I would enter the V2 notes and hit the apostrophe (') which is supposed to bring up V2. Nothing would happen. If I hit it again, it would move the arrow to the next note. I did a little troubleshooting on my own - check to see if it mattered whether I was in Insert mode or not. Same thing. I saved, exited, reopened and same problem. I have Finale on a Dell Laptop and, to my knowledge, I'm certain that I have used V1/V2 on this particular machine.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? FWIW, the apostrophe key on the laptop works while typing lyrics and in other apps.

I was able to accomplish the task using Layers, but would have preferred to use V1/V2 in this case.

Background: I'm not exactly a beginner having used Finale x 15 years, but my use is episodic often going months in between, and I always have to have the online manual pulled up whenever I use it.

Thanks, KZ

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:21 pm

V2 works for me, so they haven't broken it. Try the menu command Speedy/Speedy Navigation/Change voice to see if it's the apostrophe key or Speedy itself.

I would try restarting Finale, and if that doesn't fix it, rebooting your laptop, and if that doesn't fix it, resetting your preferences.

kzimmer0817
Finale Version: Finale 2017

Post by kzimmer0817 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:20 pm

Thank you, Motet. Using the Speedy/Speedy Navigation/Change Voice worked. After resetting preferences and rebooting, though the original problem continues. But . . .

Something hit me as I was experimenting: I figured out what was wrong, corrected it, and it works!!!

After doing some experimentation, I realized that I had my laptop keyboard set to U.S.-International because I had been typing some French words recently needing the accents. The '/" key upon 1st strike tried to initiate an accented vowel instead of the actual character. I changed my keyboard to simply U.S. and the problem is solved.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:21 pm

A good find to keep in mind!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society