2 questions on part extraction

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BJ Marks

Post by BJ Marks » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:26 am

My full score has about 50 staves and I need to extract just 20 as a percussion score. When I get to the extract parts dialogue box, all of the staves in the left are highlighted; I click in that area and manage to get 1 staff highlighted, but I need none of them; how do I get all of them unhighlighted? (All I need is the group I defined in the other area.)

OK, so now I have my score consisting of 20 staves extraced, but the part names only print on the first page. How do I get part (staff) names to print on all the pages of the score? Thanks!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:20 pm

BJ Marks wrote:how do I get all of them unhighlighted?
Click under the list.
BJ Marks wrote:How do I get part (staff) names to print on all the pages of the score?
In the extract parts window, click on options. Under part names, there is a possiblity to define a page range for staff names.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

BJ Marks

Post by BJ Marks » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:26 pm

I tried clicking outside the staves box... no luck; at least one item remains highlighted.

Also no luck in getting part names on every page. In the options box it has "items to remove" and I unchecked staff or group names. Seemingly, I would think this would mean that they would appear on every page. In the part names area I entered the page range for the full score, yet names only appear on page 1.

michelp

Post by michelp » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:39 pm

BJ Marks wrote:I tried clicking outside the staves box... no luck; at least one item remains highlighted.
Scroll the staff list all the way down, then click INSIDE the left box, but near the bottom. Under the last instrument, there is white space which is not part of the selection.
This works for me.
BJ Marks wrote:Also no luck in getting part names on every page. In the options box it has "items to remove" and I unchecked staff or group names. Seemingly, I would think this would mean that they would appear on every page. In the part names area I entered the page range for the full score, yet names only appear on page 1.
1) Under items to remove, leave staff and group names checked.
2) Below, still under "Part names", check "create staff or group name header" and then, define a page range, say 1 through 100.
Again, this works for me...
I hope this helps.

PS : Manually, while in the text tool, you can always right click (PC) or ctrl-click (mac) on the handle of a text item, select Edit Frame attributes and choose : all pages, single page, page range, left, right page...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:32 am

BJ Marks wrote:I tried clicking outside the staves box... no luck; at least one item remains highlighted.
First click on one instrument to have only one highlighted, then hold Ctrl. and click on this last highlighted instrument.
BJ Marks wrote:Also no luck in getting part names on every page. In the options box it has "items to remove" and I unchecked staff or group names. Seemingly, I would think this would mean that they would appear on every page. In the part names area I entered the page range for the full score, yet names only appear on page 1.
Use the staff system tool: enter the names you want to see on pages 2 to the end as "abbreviation" for the staff system.

Peter

michelp

Post by michelp » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:20 am

Don't forget that if you want the instrument names to appear in the parts, they first have to be defined in the score in the staff attributes window (Staff Tool, double-click on the staff's handle).
Michel