One Staff - Different Parts (for C & Bb instruments)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dstraigh
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160
Operating System: Mac

Post by dstraigh » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:26 am

Is it possible to create a score with one staff and a part for Bb instrument? It sort of seems like you need a different staff for the different parts.

What I have done is create a Finale document for a C instrument - then save a copy and transpose for Bb.

If there were a way to do the same with Scores & Parts then that would make changes/updates to the document easier - since I would only need to update the master (Score) document - then export the parts.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:40 am

If I understand you correctly, in the score only the C instrument should display, but you need two linked parts, one in C, and one in Bb - right?

You can indeed create different linked parts (with different transposition or clef) from the same score staff.

The “secret” is that staff styles can be different between score and different parts.

In the dialog box Manage Parts, create a new linked part for the Bb transposition.
Add only the C instrument staff to this new part - which is going to be the Bb part.

Then, apply a custom Bb transposition staff style to the part only (not to the score).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996