What is Finale's "Slash Chord" library?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kevinmathie
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by kevinmathie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:15 am

Hi all!

I was just browsing around Finale 27, and doing some updating on my templates, which I rarely do, given that I'm usually on a deadline when I have Finale booted up, Lol. And as I was loading a chord suffix library, I noticed Finale's "Slash Chord" .lib. What is that? I tried Googling, but did see much of an answer. Most of the hits were explaining what slash chords are. I know what they are, musically, but what is the Finale library?

I've entered plenty of slash chords over the years, and haven't noticed a problem. Although maybe I already have it loaded in my system and didn't realize it?

Anyway, just wondering.

What motivated me to look under the hood is that I just downloaded Michael McClennan's Chord Kerner, which I'm excited to play with. :)

Thanks all!
Mac Mini (M2 Pro), Mac OSX Ventura (13.2.1), Finale 27.3

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:48 am

Very little info in the manual, and I’m away from the computer. Why not load it and find out? If you load it into a document without libraries, you’ll see exactly what it contains.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

kevinmathie

Post by kevinmathie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:00 am

Hi Miker!

Good suggestion. I did just that. I opened up a new document with no libraries, added 4 measures, and wrote a couple slash chords.

To me, they look the same. Of course, they're simple. Maybe it's more obvious with complex chords? I dunno. I'm attaching a pic.

:)
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 6.55.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 6.55.58 PM.png (49.19 KiB) Viewed 454 times

miker

Post by miker » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:26 pm

Interesting. There are only seven suffixes (suffices?) in the Jazz Text and Times slash libraries, and 14 in the Arial set. And they all contain the delta symbol. I think this calls for a request to the mothership.

I will do so!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

miker

Post by miker » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:22 pm

DING, DING, DING! A new winner in the “Worst Customer Support Response” contest.

I asked tech support, “What is the purpose of the Slash Chord Library?”

The answer (I won’t say who it was)

Frankly, I have no idea. Having never investigated them, I just loaded them myself and all they provide are simple suffixes. I'm sure you noticed this as well, judging by your initial question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

kevinmathie

Post by kevinmathie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:18 pm

LOL! Well, there it is. Haha!

Thanks for asking customer service! Maybe it is just a left-over from an early version of Finale or something?

Interesting.

Thanks! :)

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am

kevinmathie wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:18 pm
Thanks for asking customer service! Maybe it is just a left-over from an early version of Finale or something?
Customer Service? Yes, definitely. :lol:

miker

Post by miker » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:40 pm

Oh, it gets better.

My response to that:
Sorry, (name redacted). Not an acceptable answer. Could you maybe ask around, and see if anyone knows more?

MM:
I did ask around, and I consulted the user manual, which gives conflicting information. As best as we can tell, they provide the simple suffixes that I referenced in my first repsonse.

Me:
So, nobody has a clue about an element in your own product. Shameful. Do you expect to keep customers from migrating to Dorico or MuseScore, or does it just not matter, anymore? Please forward this to as high in your company as you are able.

And them:
Their purpose is that they provide those suffixes if you need them.
I consulted with those in charge of these type of aspects, so they are aware. I'll close this ticket now. Have a nice weekend.

I despair.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura