Symbol Selection via keyboard

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708
Operating System: Windows

Post by TonyEastwood » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 pm

I often use the Symbol Selection Dialog Box to change a notehead (e.g. to a diamond shape to indicate a harmonic).

This involves some scrolling about :( to find the diamond symbol I want. (even though I know where it is)

However all the items in the Symbol Selection dialog box are numbered. Can I use the computer keyboard to directly get the new symbol using its number? Or will some other approach get me symbols more quickly?

I know how to use Utilities : Change : Noteheads to put an entire passage into harmonic note heads. - Unfortunately I've usually got a mix of harmonics and non-harmonic notes.
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:45 pm

Look at the JW Change plug-in, which can change noteheads. There is a menu of common shapes, including the diamond. Select the note you want to change first.

If the shape is not on that list, there is "custom shape," which presents a menu with Unicode numbers. There is a way of entering characters by number by holding down the Alt key and typing on the keypad, but I think those are decimal numbers. If you need to do that, maybe Google for a way to enter Unicode characters into Windows.
Attachments
0610.png

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:56 pm

You can leave this plug-in open and go around and do your notes one by one.

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708

Post by TonyEastwood » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:49 pm

Wow! Thank you for pointing me at the JW Change plug-in, its a huge tool kit. I'll certainly try it out.
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/