Philip Rothman interview with Jason Wick, MakeMusic director of product development

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:15 pm

https://www.scoringnotes.com/podcast/na ... ason-wick/

"Today’s podcast episode is a conversation Philip Rothman had with Jason Wick, MakeMusic director of product development. Jason talked with me about their MakeMusic Cloud product, including their Practice tool, Sight Reading Studio, a free online composing application, and their classroom suite. We also discussed MakeMusic’s tight integration with the Alfred Publishing side of their company, the future of Finale, and more broadly considered the company’s values and strategies in today’s landscape of industry consolidation."

(I haven't listened yet.)

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:58 pm

This may be the same thing as reported in

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22581

I don't know.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:07 pm

I was not impressed. He spoke glowingly about all the features geared to the education market. But very little about Finale. He was proud of the fact that he’s been with Finale for ten years. Ten years! I’ve been a user for twice that long, and I’m still a beginner compared to many. He mentioned that many small problems could be solved with prompt attention before they metastasized (his word) but personally, I still see bugs that were there when I started. So much for fixing them.

Anyway, nothing that made me sit up and say, “Wow! Finale is going to be the notation software of the future!”
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by blueshift » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Touting integration with eduction...interesting that I am taking a class at a nearby college, and they have ditched Finale for Sibelius. (Seems a little weird, but ed tech said Sibelius is faster zero-to-sixty, and is easier to teach.)
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma - a blunder
MacMini i7x6 32gb RAM + two 2 TB nvme SSD's
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / Modern Scoring Brass / Chris Hein Ensemble Strings / Fisk organ (O-Forbes)
Cubase Elements / Studio One Pro

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 pm

All I can say is my former high school and middle schools ditched Smart Music because nobody liked it. Not the students nor the parents and not even the music teachers. So I hope their new try is a lot better but somehow I don't really see it. It seems like a wasted area to pursue as your future.
I probably won't be watching the pod.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.