Part editing workflow

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

strablonsky
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by strablonsky » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:06 pm

I'm curious on your worflow for editing parts.

I've got a multi-movement work divided in 18 finale files, for stability and safety. For the full score, everything works great, since there aren't any overlaps between pages. For the parts, I've never found a perfect way to solve this. There are numbers that only have 2, 3 staves in the part. It would be much more convenient to start the next movement in the same page, but since they are in different files I'm not sure how to approach this.

How do y'all do with your files?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:42 pm

I'm not aware of any easy solutions, having spent over 10 years trying to do this sort of thing routinely in Finale. Either you have to create a combined separate document for the parts, (with the risk of inconsistencies from the score); or just waste loads of paper. Or possibly do actual old-fashioned paper cut-and paste. It doesn't help that page number offsets are not separate for parts.

Ultimately, this is one of the reasons why I do all my multi-movement projects in Dorico. Divide up the music into Flows, give them titles, set some Layout Options, and bingo: you've got parts laid out like this automatically.
Screenshot 10.png