Delete unnecessary/duplicate dynamics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:13 am

Dear all,

as far as I remember, I'd one found an option (probably a plug-in) to detect and delete all unnecessary dynamics in a score. So e. g. if there's a p sign and some bars later again, it deletes the second one. I can't find that right know, am I blind?

All the best,
Ralph

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:17 pm

Let me get this straight:

You are talking about unnecessary dynamics in the layout - right?

You are not talking about unnecessary dynamics in the Expression Selection window - right?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:50 pm

Unless you have a huge piece, I would do it manually. If there's a p section, some number of bars rest, and more music that's p, sometimes you want to restate it to remind the player, sometimes not. Seems like a judgement call I wouldn't want to leave to an algorithm.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:15 pm

If there's a p section, some number of bars rest, and more music that's p, sometimes you want to restate it to remind the player, ...
Absolutely. Make it as clear as you can even if it means an extra dynamic marking or two. Of course I deal with mostly high school and civic groups but even when I do a college piece I defer to the make it as clear as possible what you want. So, I again agree, I would do it manually just to make sure it is not necessary.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.