Splitting Choral Parts onto two pages

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DonnieBigGuy
Finale Version: 27.4.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by DonnieBigGuy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:43 pm

I'm working on a piece that has a 25-part (I need individual parts and not grouped parts) choir. Some of the parts have speaking lines with long blocks of text and I think it will be extremely difficult to understand and read on the score if it's just one page. I was curious if there was a way to split the parts up. I wanted to put the upper voices (with keyboard) on the first page and the lower voices on the second page.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:45 am

Welcome to the forum!

In the online manual there is a page about the Print dialog:

http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... 20printing

Note the option
Tile Pages
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

DonnieBigGuy

Post by DonnieBigGuy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:07 pm

Thanks for the reply! Does this work for the document when I am not printing? That's what I am trying to accomplish.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:56 pm

Your document (score) is already completed? I am not sue there is an easy way to do that in Finale but I am sure it is possible as everything is possible. The trick is figuring out how.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:11 pm

DonnieBigGuy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:07 pm
… I think it will be extremely difficult to understand and read on the score if it's just one page. I was curious if there was a way to split the parts up. I wanted to put the upper voices (with keyboard) on the first page and the lower voices on the second page …
DonnieBigGuy wrote:
Thanks for the reply! Does this work for the document when I am not printing? That's what I am trying to accomplish.
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about (on the computer screen) viewing the Finale document - right?

Instead of viewing the staves vertically top-to-bottom below each-other (on a tall page), you are talking about viewing the upper half of the staves in one side of the screen, and the lower half in the other side of the screen - right?

The only idea I can find, is to have all the staves vertically below each other, on a tall page.
Then, use
Window menu > New Window
to open another window of the same document.
Position the two windows next to each-other, the upper staves in one window, and the lower staves in the other window.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

DonnieBigGuy

Post by DonnieBigGuy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:49 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:11 pm
DonnieBigGuy wrote:
… I think it will be extremely difficult to understand and read on the score if it's just one page. I was curious if there was a way to split the parts up. I wanted to put the upper voices (with keyboard) on the first page and the lower voices on the second page …
DonnieBigGuy wrote:
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about (on the computer screen) viewing the Finale document - right?

Instead of viewing the staves vertically top-to-bottom below each-other (on a tall page), you are talking about viewing the upper half of the staves in one side of the screen, and the lower half in the other side of the screen - right?

The only idea I can find, is to have all the staves vertically below each other, on a tall page.
Then, use
Window menu > New Window
to open another window of the same document.
Position the two windows next to each-other, the upper staves in one window, and the lower staves in the other window.

Sorry, I worded it terribly, let me try again.

I have a 28-part (it's now 28 instead of 25) choral piece including a keyboard. I have page view selected and a blank first page
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 4.25.37 PM.jpg
This is for the score. I want to make it so the first page staves is keyboard, sopranos, altos (group 1) and the second page of staves is tenors, basses, and miscellaneous (group 2). As an example, I would put measures 1-2 for group 1 on the first page and then measures 1-2 for group 2 on the second page.

Just to clarify, I have long pieces of dialogue that need to be put on the score which is why I want to split it onto two seperate pages.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:58 pm

I want to split it onto two seperate pages.
So, the score in question i snot done? You are starting a brand new score. This is for editing and writing as you compose also for the final print out? If I am still understanding what you want it can be done just not easily. You can set up different measure regions with separate numbers but Finale is going to think they are all in order. You will hide some and you will show some. However on screen it will look like the way you want. And it will print that way.
This won't be easy but once it is set up and you keep in mind what actual measure number you are working on it can be done. However this way won't playback correctly. Perhaps others can come up with a more elegant way.
split page.jpg
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.