hide staff in section of piano part

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rojo2024
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by rojo2024 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:41 pm

The hide staff functionality has changed some through the years, I believe, and I'm having trouble now (using Finale 27.4). I have a piano part that has treble clef staff empty for some of the pages, but a few places on other pages where I need to show the treble as well as the bass clef staff. I want to make the piano part more concise by hiding the treble clef staff on pages where it is empty. If I select the treble clef staff, and, with the staff tool, choose "hide empty staves" it does nothing (and those are really empty measure, not whole note rests, in the treble clef staff). If I do "remove group," I can successfully then hide empty staff -- but now I can not find any way to show bracket and draw the barline through the staves to make it look like a regular piano part in those places where there is music in both staves. How can I do this? Thanks!

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:11 pm

If you ctl-click the piano group and edit group attributes, there is a pop-down for hiding empty staves. It probably says Only Hide if All Staves are Empty. Change that and see if it does what you want.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.