Copy Positioning on Parts that share a Score Stave?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DGByrne
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160
Operating System: Mac

Post by DGByrne » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:01 pm

I've tried pretty exhaustively to find a solution to this, and haven't, so I'm guessing there's not one, but if someone has one it would save so much time!

Here's what I'm talking about. I have a score from an orchestrator that has say Horn 1,2 sharing a stave. Usually I'd just create a new stave in my "Parts" score and manually separate the parts, but obviously that takes a ton of time. So I tried out using two parts that draw from the same Horn 1,2 part using the specify voicing filter. It works pretty well, but in both the Horn 1 and Horn 2 parts I have to go in and manually edit all of the hairpin placement and expression placement twice, even if the parts are identical. Like, if a hairpin is fine in the score, but is off in the part, I have to move it in Horn 1, then move it in Horn 2. With 6 horns this takes forever.

It would be amazing if you could copy all of the placements from part to part, like all of the adjustments, but I can't find a way to do it... Or if you could turn off the unlinking so that when you adjust the part it moves it in the score... and then gets transferred to both parts?

Does anyone have a solution to this one?

Thanks!!!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:16 pm

Manual hairpin adjustment should be minimal if the hairpins were attached to beats properly, but it sounds like it's too late for that.

I don't use the "voice" feature to separate parts, but I understand it has its limitation. You might experiment with JW Staff Polyphony to see how it does at teasing apart the parts into two staves.

DGByrne
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160
Operating System: Mac

Post by DGByrne » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Thanks Motet. Yeah, this is only a problem when I get scores from other people... can't go back and attach to beats then... :cry: though I guess I could try in the score and see if it is any quicker than adjusting twice...

I love JW staff polyphony, and was how I used to do it, but it takes so long making the extra staves, making sure everything copied right, etc. etc...

The "specify voicing" thing actually works really well now that I've tried it... It's just that with all things Finale, it seems like you find on thing that speeds up your work, but then realize it means a completely new headache, so it's kind of a wash...