HITS Below regular staff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MortalAgosto
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by MortalAgosto » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:11 pm

HI, I have done it 100's of times..but not regularly..so each time I forget how to do it and/or the actual situation is slightly different so the "solution" for the previous one does not necessarily apply.
So, before asking my question. Why Finale does not have an EASY build in way to write rhythmic hits above or below a regular staff without having to manually tweak tons of little options on tabs and menus?
I need to simple make the red notes (that are now on Layer 2) appear in rhythmic notation. I am already able to tweak the note-heads to horribly placed and out of proportion slash and diamond, but this is not what it supposed to look like.
Anybody ? in addition to fix this particular issue, can help me create a Staff style that has regular notation on layer 1 and rhythmic hits (rhythmic notation figures) right below or above the staff on layer 2? or V1 and V2?
See pic below.
Thanks!
Attachments
Finale windows.jpg

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:33 pm

I looked in my archive of Finale solutions, and found these files (rhythmic notation above staff).

But perhaps this solution is only what you are doing already (= having to manually tweak tons of little options on tabs and menus) ?
Attachments
RhythmicNotationAbove-v26.musx
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
AlternateNotation.jpg
StaffSetup.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

MortalAgosto

Post by MortalAgosto » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am

Hi Peter,
I have already 3 stuff styles called Rhythmic notation on layer 2 but its right in the middle line of the staff, so no useful.
I tried to edit this to get the rhythmic notation to move down to the space below the first line with no luck.
I tried a new staff style, I was on that first screen you posted same thing (same settings) but it does not work it does not show rhythmic noteheads on any layer..ALSO where is that second screen you posted?? "Stuff Setup" and HOW would you edit this and when?
Thanks

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:15 am

MortalAgosto wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am
… I tried a new staff style, I was on that first screen you posted same thing (same settings) but it does not work, it does not show rhythmic noteheads on any layer …
As you can see, it does work in the Finale document I attached (which has Rhythmic Notation in Layer 1, not in Layer 2).

* If you attach your (failed) Finale document here, then I am confident that we can find out, what you are doing wrong.

MortalAgosto wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am
… I tried to edit this to get the rhythmic notation to move down to the space below the first line with no luck … where is that second screen you posted?? "Staff Setup" and HOW would you edit this and when? …
Whenever you need to get info about a Finale dialog box (= how to get there, and what it does), use the Search field in the online manual.

I just tried it myself, and I got this:
http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... AFLINE.htm

The “secret” trick is the field Stem Reversal which not only sets the vertical positioning of the border between upstems and downstems; Stem Reversal also sets the vertical positioning of Alternate Notation such as
- Slash Notation
- Rhythmic Notation

To set the default positioning of rests in a layer, use
Document Option - Layers
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

MortalAgosto

Post by MortalAgosto » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:53 pm

Hi Peter,
I have the same settings as the file you sent but it does not work.
I tried to attach my file but it says its "too large" at 271kb ..can I send it by email?
A