Disappearing staff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TLIcenogle
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by TLIcenogle » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:45 pm

I've lost a staff. It does show up in Staff Attributes (and not as "hidden"), and there is no tick on the "force hide staff" box. Interestingly, my "Hide Empty Staves" and "Show Empty Staves" are greyed out for any staff I might attempt to hide. Even more interesting, the missing staff in question plays during playback.

Didn't see anything like this in my forum searches. Looking forward to your help.

(Long-time Finale user but with a new user id due to retirement and now working from home.)
T Icenogle
Battle-scarred Finale user since 1909

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:50 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Attach your Finale document here, and I am confident the gurus can find out what is going on in your document.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

TLIcenogle
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by TLIcenogle » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:35 am

I don't know what's going on, but I just now opened the doc, and my missing staff is there, but repositioned to the top of the chart rather than at the bottom where it used to be. Did I somehow 1) move it there, and then 2) somehow right-click-and-drag the whole doc up so the top staff was not in view? Did I do this during an out-of-body experience? That must be it. I do notice some spurious grouping and bracketing of staves that wasn't there before, and that always happens when I move staves within Score Manager. So I guess we call this one solved? I think I need to get more sleep.
Battle-scarred Finale user since 1909