Accessability for sight impaired user

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

paxman
Finale Version: 2019
Operating System: Windows

Post by paxman » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:00 pm

Hi,

I am a volunteer for a charity that supports older people and people with disabilities that causes them to have limited access to the internet and computer applications etc.

I am after some help for a 97 year old composer with very poor eyesight.

Finale is his one of his very few remaining real joys in life and he is having terrible trouble using it with his eyesight problem.

What he would like is for the musical score screen to have a black background and pretty much everything else in bright yellow.

I have tried for hours with only limited success. The horizontal lines (Stave) need to be yellow and not black but i can find no setting to achieve this?

Can anyone help or suggest anything else that might help.

He has written over 4000 musical scores apparently and would also like the opportunity to let people hear some of them and discuss them. He also likes to discuss Philosophy but currently has no one to do this with either.

Thanks for your time.
Regards
Neil

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:32 pm

This might be best handled with Windows rather than Finale. Uncheck everything in Finale's Preferences/Screen Colors so that it's simple black with a white background, then check out the Ease of Access settings in Windows. Also try Googling

windows reverse screen colors

paxman
Finale Version: 2019

Post by paxman » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:04 am

Hi Motet

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried using Windows settings and the reverse screen colours (might) allow what is needed in finale but when i tried it all things are reversed including all images and you get negatives of everything. Which my client found very offputting (even with his restricted sight). He has now seemed to settle on a yellow background with black staves and notation. It is probably not optimal but he can certainly use it.

I have spent hours with the finale settings and googling things and I think what he has now is probably the best he can achieve. The trouble is the amount of time it takes to experiment. Windows has many ease of access settings but they are still confusing.

Regards
Neil

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Right click on the desktop.
In the Display Setting drop down type "high contrast" in the search field. Select "Dessert" and see if that helps.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.