Making augmentation work (Change Note Durations to 200%)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708
Operating System: Windows

Post by TonyEastwood » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

This is not so much as a question as an observation. Hopefully this observation will save other people so much frustration.
Augmentation in Finale does work, is very powerful, (and of course is a wonderful compositional technique. )

I've been trying to apply rhythmic note augmentation (i.e. Change Note durations to 200%) to complex multi layer polyphony for years. I had come to the conclusion it never works :( . This is simply because I had not understood the prerequisites .

To successfully augment an extended passage you must:

• ensure that all empty bar zest are replaced with "real whole note" rests (Plug-ins| note, beam, and rest editing)

ensure that your score has no missing rests for any layer in use (There is a utility to do this but my experience is that it misses some rests!)

Once you have your passage successfully treated the only safe way to apply the augmentation is to paste that section into a new document, make the "augmentation" there are then paste back the changed section into your original . (Hint: Check the last part of your augmented section - if the new notes are out of synchronization then you missed a rest somewhere !).

Don't try apply the augmentation "in situ," (if you have notes after the augmented section)
Don't try to apply augmentation across any key signature change.

Other suggestions as to how to use augmentation with success are welcome!.
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/