Library import/ export misses user-defined categories

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708
Operating System: Windows

Post by TonyEastwood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:18 am

I use a group of expressions to represent classical guitar fingerings. I call that set "New fingerings". But when I export a library which should include those fingerings, and then import it into a new work I find none of those items are carried over.

In my export I include just 'expressions'. Is there any way I can fix library so that it works?

The only work round I've found is to paste a very large section of fingered music into a new work and then delete it again. That carries most common fingering expressions over into the new work (but not those which are not used so its incomplete). But surely this is what library import and export is supposed to do?

Even better I would like it to transfer the source doc meta key assignments E.g. pressing "1" assigns the fingering "1". Is that possible?

[Currently the only way I can get this to work perfectly is to copy an entire existing piece, then delete all the notes in that piece and start over. But official Finale technical support tell me this is why I sometimes see corrupted files, ... my 'brand new work' is inheriting all the complex history of the previous works].
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:03 pm

I see this happen with certain libraries I create. When you export the saved library the group name does not export, although the library elements do and are at the bottom when "show all" is selected in the expression dialogue box. I then have to select the "edit categories" from the expression dialogue, duplicate an existing category, change the name, and then mass move all the subject expressions to that category.

This only happens with certain named category names. Anyone have an answer?
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 pm

I just tried exporting expressions into a library, then creating a new document without libraries, then importing my library. It seems to duplicate the built-in categories with empty versions of the same name, and indeed it omits some of my categories. The omitted categories were called Whole Note Repeats Above and Whole Note Repeats Below. If I had to guess, maybe it's that those category names are too long? If you category names are long, you might try renaming them and see if that fixes it.

A dog's breakfast!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 pm

As we know, a new category is created from a duplicate of an existing one.
I have noticed that to be transferred correctly to another file, the new category needs to be modified (even minimally) in one of his parameters (Text font, music font, number font). If the parameters of the new category are 100% identical, Finale doesn't seem to import it in another file.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua