Bug: Notes added when changing time signature

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Canned Man
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by Canned Man » Fri May 03, 2024 11:07 pm

Whenever I change from 4⁄4 to 2⁄4 time signature, Finale inserts lots of random notes. It is not a drawing error, as redraw and/or zooming in and out does nothing to change it. I included the file for anyone interested in having a look.
Attachments
Rhythm exercises – Preparatory exercises for aural and sight reading tests.musx
(142.91 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
2-4 time bug extra notes.jpeg
Finale 27.3.0.137 / Windows 10 (64-bit). Organist, piano teacher (beginners, intermediate), hobby composer.
LibreOffice; Opera GX; DOOM, Pharaoh, Command & Conquer and Quake; reborn Quake mapper on Trenchbroom.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat May 04, 2024 5:50 am

Not enough info.

1) What the layout is supposed to look like, we do not know.
What should happen when you change the time signature from 4/4 to 2/4?
a. Should the number of 2/4 measures be the same as the number of 4/4 measures before - meaning that 50 % of the notes should “go away”?
b. Or should the number of measures be doubled, so that all the notes are still there?

2) Something to try:
Time Signature Tool.
Select the region for the time signature change.
Double-click the selected. The dialog box Time Signature appears.
Does it make a difference whether the check box Rebar Music is selected or de-selected?
(Click on the attached image, to view at full size)
Attachments
TimeSignature.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Canned Man

Post by Canned Man » Sat May 04, 2024 5:37 pm

Example of how to force it:
  1. I created a brand new, blank document, 4⁄4 time, C major (default document).
  2. I added one crotchet to the first bar (Figure 1).
  3. I changed the time signature to 3⁄4 time by selecting the Time Signature tool, double clicking the bar, then going one step down to 3⁄4 time and clicking OK; ‘Rebar music’ was not selected.
  4. I added two more crotchets to the first bar using Speedy Entry (Num5 for crotchet, NumEnter for accept).
  5. After adding that third crotchet, the remaining crotchet rest got pushed not into the next bar, but somewhere in between (as seen by it not taking up the position it should, were it actually moved there (Figure 2).
  6. Continuing speedy entry (pressing NumEnter), the rest is not removed, not even selected.
  7. In order to delete it, I have to press Del four times: three times for the crotchets, then finally once for the extra crotchet rest.
Bilde_2024-05-04_183028646.png
Figure 1: One crotchet added.
Bilde_2024-05-04_183336390.png
Figure 2: Crotchet rest pushed halfway into second bar.
Bilde_2024-05-04_183519641.png
Figure 3: Crotchet rest not deleted.
Even if this is caused by me not selecting ‘Rebar music’, I cannot see how this is ‘a feature, not a bug’; it should not be possible for me to push that crotchet rest into the next bar, then add another three crotchets into it. It clearly is not placed as an actual part of the bar, given that it does not flow with the rest of the bar. Something weird is going on.
Finale 27.3.0.137 / Windows 10 (64-bit). Organist, piano teacher (beginners, intermediate), hobby composer.
LibreOffice; Opera GX; DOOM, Pharaoh, Command & Conquer and Quake; reborn Quake mapper on Trenchbroom.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat May 04, 2024 6:06 pm

Not a "bug," I wouldn't say.

When you change 4/4 to 3/4, the measure is then overstuffed with a fourth note; it looks like it's in the following measure, but it's not. You're right that it's odd, but I think Finale pretending it was still 4/4 as far as spacing goes wouldn't be right, either.

If you're wanting Finale to delete whatever notes are leftover, it can't do that. But there's a plug-in, Note, Beam, and Rest Editing/Check Region for Durations. Run that, and repeatedly click Delete the Extra Notes (or rests). It should to very quickly.

If you're wanting the notes pushed into the next bar, just select Rebar.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun May 05, 2024 12:15 am

If you have "check for extra notes" selected as a Speedy entry option, just moving from one measure to the next will give you the option of pushing the extra notes to the next measure. But to delete it, you don't have to push Delete four times--instead, use the right-arrow to move to the unwanted note or rest, then delete it.

Canned Man

Post by Canned Man » Mon May 06, 2024 1:16 pm

motet wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:15 am
If you have "check for extra notes" selected as a Speedy entry option, just moving from one measure to the next will give you the option of pushing the extra notes to the next measure. But to delete it, you don't have to push Delete four times--instead, use the right-arrow to move to the unwanted note or rest, then delete it.
I supposed the interesting part of that, is that it is not selected when I go from the first to the second bar, but when I delete notes, it is seen as presumably not note 1, but note 0, if that makes sense.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 06, 2024 2:12 pm

Canned Man wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:16 pm
… it is not selected when I go from the first to the second bar, but when I delete notes, it is seen as presumably not note 1, but note 0, if that makes sense.
No, the note is not in the second measure (although on the computer screen it looks like it is in the second measure); the note is at the end of the first measure - which is “overfilled”.
When the Speedy Entry rectangle is in the first measure, you can use the RightArrow key to navigate to the “overfilling” note, and then delete it.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996