importing from a midi file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Judinkie

Post by Judinkie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:19 pm

Using Finale 2006c I want to import a rhythm section midi into Finale and add horn sections but I've run into a problem. The midi key signature is C but the chords and tune are actually Ab. If I use the proper key (Ab) in my setup score and import or copy I obviously get all sorts of double b's and enharmonic gooblies. But if I bring it over in the midi key signature (C) then all the horn parts will have a lot of unnecessary accidentals. Seems like I'm missing a very basic procedure but I can't seem to figure out how to score it in Ab and let Finale correct the enharmonics. Or am I asking too much?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 am

Try this:

Change the key signature of your score document to C, and import the MIDI file.
Now the enharmonics are correct, but the key signature is wrong.

When the music is imported, change the key signature to Ab, with the option "Hold Notes to Original Pitches" selected.
In the pop up menu, choose "Chromatically".
In Other Words: "Hold Notes to Original Pitches Chromatically".
Now the enharmonics should still be correct, and the key signature is right.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Judinkie

Post by Judinkie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 am

Thank you, Peter, I'll try that method. I tried one work around using the Note Mover tool. No matter what I tried I would end up with double flats on all B,E,A and D's because they were notated flats once in the midi file chords and then again when I copied the midi over to Finale because of the Ab key. So I used the note mover search and did a chromatic transposition of up an augmented unison on all double flatted notes. It was a bit laborious and I'm sure not as efficient as your way. Thanks again. Don't know why I didn't see the Hold Notes etc. So much to look at. But, gosh, what a great program.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:30 am

My modest two cents in the discussion : several sequencers (Digital Performer a.o.) allow you to define a key signature. If you are in the position to re-create the midi file, define it to be in Ab and export it...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Judinkie

Post by Judinkie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks, Michelp, for your "two cents", but unfortunately I'm a full-fledged newbie when it comes to computerized composition. Afraid I'm gonna have to use my 'next' life to figure out how to use sequencers. Peter's method worked great, though, so now I can go find something else I don't know how to do and/or can't find iin the manual. Thanks again for your input.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:53 pm

Briefly explained:
In a sequencer like Digital Performer, a special conductor track exists, in which you can enter basic information, a.o. key signatures (Ab in your case).
Thus you can insert a key signature change to Ab major at the beginning of your sequencer file, in measure 1, beat 1.
If you export a sequencer file that is now in Ab as a midi file, Finale will import it and, I think, display the same key signature.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua