Measure break

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

xignaciox

Post by xignaciox » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Is it possible to create easily a measure break, so I don't have to waste time dragging and fighting against the program?

Thank you,
Ignacio

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:18 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand.

What is a measure break?

Do you want to replace one 4/4 measure with one 3/4 measure + one 1/4 measure?

Or do you want to replace one 4/4 measure with one 3/4 measure + one 1/4 measure - with some empty space inserted between the 3/4 measure and the 1/4 measure?

Please explain.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

xignaciox

Post by xignaciox » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:35 pm

With measure breake I mean like a page break, but concearning a measure. Look in sibelius.
Thanks.

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by at8ax » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:03 pm

I think you mean a split measure. Look in the manual. (There's a plug-in.)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Which version of Finale are you using?

The plug-in Split Measure has been in Finale since Finale 2006.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:31 pm

[quote="xignaciox"]...a measure break, so I don't have to waste time dragging and fighting against the program?[/quote]
Maybe what xignaciox simply wants is to have control on the number of measures in each system.
If it is the case (not quite sure...!) , just a few things that could help :
- Mass Edit tool :
Fit Music (in the menu) defines how many measures are present in all the systems for a selected region.
- You can manually "send" a mesure to the previous system or to the next one with the arrow keys (up or down)
- When you are pleased with the way measures are distributed over the systems of a region, you can select that region and "lock" it, so that the measures stay as you decided.
That's Ctrl-L (on a PC) or Cmd-L (on the Mac).
- Also useful : you can force a measure to begin a new system :
Measure tool
Double click the measure, and mark the checkbox "Begin a new system"
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

xignaciox

Post by xignaciox » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:25 pm

Concretely: I wanted to send one specific measure to the next system.

All recomendations were very helpful.

I ended up using the mass edit tool and fitting determined amounts of measures in a system. A problem was, that there were always one or two measures left alone. So I pushed them into appropriate places with the arrows and immediately locked them there.

Thank you!

The concerts of the piece will be in The Hague (Netherlands) in March and April: Residence Permit Street Orchestra!
Your all welcome to go!

[quote="michelp"][quote="xignaciox"]...a measure break, so I don't have to waste time dragging and fighting against the program?[/quote]
Maybe what xignaciox simply wants is to have control on the number of measures in each system.
If it is the case (not quite sure...!) , just a few things that could help :
- Mass Edit tool :
Fit Music (in the menu) defines how many measures are present in all the systems for a selected region.
- You can manually "send" a mesure to the previous system or to the next one with the arrow keys (up or down)
- When you are pleased with the way measures are distributed over the systems of a region, you can select that region and "lock" it, so that the measures stay as you decided.
That's Ctrl-L (on a PC) or Cmd-L (on the Mac).
- Also useful : you can force a measure to begin a new system :
Measure tool
Double click the measure, and mark the checkbox "Begin a new system"[/quote] :wink: :wink: :wink: