Can't create parts from groups in 2007

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Stacyc1

Post by Stacyc1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:07 am

So I only use Finale to extract parts from scores, and have been doing so for 6 years. Now, in 2007, when I open scores from earlier versions, the groups (i.e. piano, synth, etc) are not available to create as parts. I have to add the bass clef staff to the top staff in "manage parts", and then when the part is generated/extracted, it doesn't maintain its "grouped" status. Any help?
Wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:27 am

The culprit could be that the staves have names in the Staff Attributes.
(Although it's unusual to have staff names in a keyboard part)

If you delete these staff names, Finale will treat the staff groups as parts when you click the button "Generate Parts".

To avoid this problem, consider entering the staff names with staff styles instead of using the Staff Attributes.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Stacyc1

Post by Stacyc1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:46 pm

This is wonderful, thanks! It takes care of the piano part perfectly. I don't create the scores, so I have to work with what is given me and I'm not sure how to convert a vocal group - i.e. S/A staff and T/B staff - to a group called Vocal, without deleting the staff names, then renaming them in the extracted part. Is this possible? Thanks again!

Stacy

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Try this:

Delete the staff names from the Staff Attributes, then add the staff names back again via staff styles.

When generating parts, Finale will ignore staff styles.

Peter

Stacyc1

Post by Stacyc1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:10 pm

I tried that, but I haven't worked with staff styles before, so I couldn't figure how to apply just a name to a specific staff.

Thanks,
Stacy

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Staff Tool.

Staff menu > Define Staff Styles...

The dialog box Staff Styles is similar to the dialog box Staff Attributes, but you can define a staff style that only affects the staff name, and doesn't do anything to the other staff attributes.
Click the button "New", name your staff style, and set up the staff name as you want it.
Note that you can make your staff style appear in the context menu (this option is selected by default).

To apply your staff style, click to the left of the staff to select it, and apply the staff style via the context menu.

Or, if you have deselected the option "Display In Context Menu" (e. g. to make the context menu shorter), go to
Staff menu > Apply Staff Style...

Peter

Stacyc1

Post by Stacyc1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

It worked! Peter from Danmark, thanks and have a wonderful day!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have noticed that you will have to delete the "main" staff name only in the staff attributes of each staff involved in a group; the abbreviated staff name can remain, it won't prevent the group from extracting as a group.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Stacyc1

Post by Stacyc1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Even better, thanks!