Arpeggios over multiple staves

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michael Simpson

Post by Michael Simpson » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:38 pm

:idea:
I just solved a problem that I thought some users might run into occasionally, so if you would like an idea on how to do it here it is. I am using Finale 2002. I don't know how different the steps would be for 03 and 04.

I bet most arpeggios occur over more than one staff -- for example, harp or piano. To make the playback sound like one long arpeggio, use the articulation tool for both the top and bottom staves. Start with the bottom staff.

1. Select the articulation tool and click the bottom staff note.
2. The articulation selection menu appears. Select the arpeggio and click Edit. The articulation designer menu appears.
3. There is a box titled "Playback Effect" with two input values for "Top Note" and "Bottom Note". These values are 1/1024ths of a quarter note. For example, -512 is equivalent to an eighth note before the beat. Assuming you want an arpeggio lasting one eighth note to end on the beat, set the bottom value at -512 and the top value at -256.
4. Press Enter twice. The arpeggio appears on the lower staff. Adjust for appearance as necessary.
5. Click the top staff note to make the arpeggio box reappear.
6. Select the arpeggio and click Duplicate. A new arpeggio appears at the bottom of the choices. Select the new arpeggio and click edit.
7. Set the bottom value for -256 and the top value at 0.
8. Press Enter twice and adjust the arpeggio(s) until they line up. (Or extend the lower arpeggio to the upper stave, and make the top arpeggio "display only".)
Let me know if this idea was helpful -- or if I've missed a simpler way to do this. :D

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:09 pm

Excellent, Michael!

I have immediately included your instructions in my private collection of Finale tricks.

Peter