Multimeasure: "play time x bars "

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

campus five

Post by campus five » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 pm

I've seen several finale scores that show drums parts with multimeasure rests that have text between the brackets, such as "play x bars." I've messed around with the multimeasure editor, but didn't seem to get anywhere. Thanks.

Oh, and 2007 / XP.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 pm

First, if you have created regular mutimeasure rests, you could :
- simply add the word "Play" above the number and the line. Perfectly clear for a drummer.
Or :
- cancel the mm rests in the region, group all the measures in the same system and hide barlines (except the last one), then :
- use, in the shape expressions, the one that has the line (uninterrupted) with brackets on each side. It is expandable in width, and you can make duplicates if you need several versions in different widths.
(always keep "allow horizontal stretching" selected)
The text ("Play 16 bars") has to be entered as a text expression and placed above the line.

What I personnally did, to interrupt the line and leave room for a text (such as "play 16 bars"), is to create (or editing 2 duplicates of the shape already mentioned) a left bracket line and a right bracket line.
In this case, the text, again entered as a text expression, can be placed in the blank space between the 2 bracketed lines.

All this requires a bit of manual fine-tuning, but it works.
Last edited by michelp on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

campus five

Post by campus five » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:42 pm

the text expression seems like the best way to get what I was thinking. Thanks.