tied notes intermittently dropped in playback

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

micro314

Post by micro314 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:12 am

Hi all, having a problem with Finale 2008a dropping the second (and subsequent) notes in a tied series. I've checked out this forum for a possible solution and haven't found one - I'm definitely not using SmartShape slurs as ties.

Sometimes it works exactly like it should. Sometimes it just chops it off as if the tied notes weren't even there. Doesn't seem to matter whether I have a gigantic orchestra loaded or a little piano.

Thanks everyone.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:53 pm

I have encountered similar problems, also with small string ensembles, with no movements in any part of the score, just with a 3 note chord sustained for 2 measures (2 whole notes, tied, and all notes in the same layer). I use my external midi module for playback.
I can't think of a cause for this. I have tried to re-enter the notes, same problem.
Maybe you should write an email to the tech support, and attach your file for examination. I will do it.
Go to their web site ->support->browse answers->ask a question (if I remember the sequence correclty)
Last edited by michelp on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

michelp

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:15 pm

An afterthought :
Several problems I have submitted to the Tech Support in recent months were present in 2008 files which were actually created with earlier versions of Finale, and opened, modified and re-saved as 2008 files.
The tech support draw my attention to that as a cause of some problems.
And as a matter of fact, some of the problems indeed disappeared as soon as I recreated a "true" 2008 file from scratch.
I have just submitted today an example of a problematic file (ties) to the Tech support. But it was originally an old template, opened/saved in 2008...
Let's see what their answer will bring.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

michelp

Post by michelp » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Tech support replied.
I had, besides the notes in the staves, chord symbols, too. But chords were muted in the Instrument list window for these tracks (I don't like how they sound and they make things in the score hard to judge)
The suggestion of the tech support is, in the Chords menu, to uncheck "Enable chord playback". And it is true, if you do it, the problem disappears, the notes keep ringing for their whole duration.
Very strange. I don't see how a muted chord symbol can interfere in the playback, but it does. There is not even a chord symbol change in the second measure.
This all looks bizarre, but it makes a difference.
So if you had chord symbols, too, you may have an indication here.
Michel