mid staff instrument change

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

greenfox
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by greenfox » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm writing for an small band, a lot of the musicians double. The most perplexing is the Bb clarinet/piano player. I've managed to hide the part of the LH piano part when he's playing clarinet, however it's when the piano starts that I run into trouble.

How can I begin the piano (in concert) with a bass clef...I would have thought I could just plunk it in, but it doesn't work. Is there some trick I can use to display the bass clef AND the key signature (cancelling RH transposition?

I appreciate your consideration,

Andy

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:32 pm

In the full version of Finale (you don't mention which one you are using, please add it to your signature in the forum profile), to have several instruments in the same staff, using different clefs, transpositions, the method is to use a staff style.
The staff style will be applied locally to the region where the second instrument is used (Bb clarinet).
I think there is a ready-for-use staff style for Bb transposition (up a second), like what you need for your Bb clarinet.
Select the region and apply it.
For playback, you may want to create a text expression ("clarinet") with effect on playback, which would change the default piano sound to a clarinet sound patch, and a second one ("piano") to revert to piano.
I hope this will put you on the right track.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

greenfox
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by greenfox » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks for responding Michel,

I'm using VST instruments, both full GPO and Kontakt 3. I have managed to have the change of instrument change successfully however when it changes from Bb Clarinet to piano part is transposed up a second. It plays correctly, but appears in D instead of C. I need to cancel the transposition, changing the key signature and the playback to C concert. I'll see what I can do with the staff styles.

Thanks,

Andy
Finale 20009, 2008a, 2007c, on PC; Edirol UA-25 for sound. M-Audio Key Rg 49. GPO, Jabb, Kontakt 3 and a bunch of other things I barely know how to use

Stan

Post by Stan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:49 am

Are staff styles available in printmusic? I'm trying to write a flute double into a sax part.....thanks