Edited part reverts back when printed

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ronny

Post by ronny » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:54 am

I'm using finale 2008, Vista. I have a score that I've extracted parts from and upon printing, the drum part keeps reverting BACK to an unedited form when I print it. The bars are not lined up correctly, there's no multi-measure rests, etc......What is that? Anyone ever seen that? All of the other parts printed fine.

I am printing to create a pdf but even printing on my 'normal' printers, the part comes out NOT looking like my edited version. When I 'print', the part looks fine on the screen, but then it changes instantly to something strange. I've tried shutting down finale and rebooting, but still the same problem with this part. I re-extracted/edited and still no help.

Anyone?

ronny

Post by ronny » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:54 pm

I've traced the problem to staff styles/blank notation. WTH???? I can't figure out WHY when I try to use the blank notation like I used to in finale 2003, upon printing, the staves all appear again with NO multimeasure rest like I want it. Crazy. I guess I'll have to call them to see why they 'fixed' it.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:14 pm

This is not new : no multimeasure rest can be created not only unless all measures are really empty, but also when certain staff styles with alternate notation are present (slashes, rhythmic, blank). Clear them first.

NB : I've recently noticed that a staff style created for a transposition purpose (switching to a doubling in a staff) does not prevent multimeasure rests from being created.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

ronny

Post by ronny » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 pm

This is not new : no multimeasure rest can be created not only unless all measures are really empty, but also when certain staff styles with alternate notation are present (slashes, rhythmic, blank). Clear them first.

Code: Select all

Not so. In finale 2003a, I could extract a drum part that had a multi-measure rest and then convert that area to blank notation and write "16 bars time" or whatever over it. When printed, it remained a 'multi-measure' rest for the purpose of spacing and the "16 bars time" remained exactly as I wanted it. NOW, I find that upon printing, the 'multi-measure' rest converts BACK to 16 blank bars thus messing up the look and spacing. Strange upgrade if you ask me. I've sent the file to finale but no response yet. 

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:07 pm

ronny,

I could be wrong here, but I think that the culprit is this:

Document Options > Multimeasure Rests

Deselect the option "Update Automatically".

"Update Automatically" is fine during note entry:
It will automatically break a multimeasure rest as you enter music in empty measures.

But when you have finished entering music, "Update Automatically" is only annoying, since it will screw up all edits to multimeasure rests.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996