PROOFING THE FINAL PRODUCT

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

thetimoth
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by thetimoth » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Finally! You've finished the piece. You've checked it for mistakes. You've had someone else check it for mistakes also.

You print a final copy for your accompanist, or 50 copies for your choir, or 80 parts for your band or orchestra. You stand in front of the group, give the down beat and and BLAM! there's a mistake on the FIRST page!

I'm hoping this thread will produce a proofing checklist for completed manuscripts. Is such a thing possible, since all compositions are unique? Perhaps, since all compositions all have many things in common (far more than their distinctions), there are some items one can comb a composition for and dependably end up with an errorless score.

By what method, if any, do YOU proof your finale work? A list? A non-specific lookover? (that's what gets me in trouble). Playing it through and hoping to catch the bloopers?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:08 pm

The disappearance of some accidentals, although it is less frequent, is still a source of concern. One thing to do (Finale 2008) is to select the whole score and apply Utilities->check notation->check accidentals.
"Check ties" is also available.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:00 am

Ian Stewart wrote:In Finale 2005b, which I still use, this command does not seem to work at all unfortunately.
In Finale 2005, if I remember correctly, to fix the accidentals, one had to do both operations : check ties first, and then check accidentals. Several users have noticed that weird behaviour, which seems to be fixed in more recent versions. Maybe you could give it a try.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua